unbiased benchmark

Sam Ettessoc

Dear sir,

I would like to share a benchmark I did. The computer used was a
2160MHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2000MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM running MAC OS
10.5.6 and a lots of software running (a typical developer
workstation).

Python benchmark:
HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ echo 1+1 > bench.py
HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ time python bench.py
real 0m0.064s
user 0m0.049s
sys 0m0.013s

Ruby benchmark:
HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ echo 1+1 > bench.rb
HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ time ruby bench.rb
real 0m0.006s
user 0m0.003s
sys 0m0.003s

Can you believe it? Ruby is 10 times faster than Python.

On a side note, when I subscribed to the Python mailing list, it took
less than 200ms before I got the confirmation email. For the Ruby
mailing list, it took over 9000ms! Which is 4500% less performant!

Sam Ettessoc
p.s. I have no affiliation with ruby or python devloppement team.