unbiased benchmark

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sam Ettessoc, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. Sam Ettessoc

    Sam Ettessoc Guest

    Dear sir,

    I would like to share a benchmark I did. The computer used was a
    2160MHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2000MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM running MAC OS
    10.5.6 and a lots of software running (a typical developer
    workstation).

    Python benchmark:
    HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ echo 1+1 > bench.py
    HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ time python bench.py
    real 0m0.064s
    user 0m0.049s
    sys 0m0.013s

    Ruby benchmark:
    HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ echo 1+1 > bench.rb
    HAMBURGUESA:benchmark sam$ time ruby bench.rb
    real 0m0.006s
    user 0m0.003s
    sys 0m0.003s

    Can you believe it? Ruby is 10 times faster than Python.

    On a side note, when I subscribed to the Python mailing list, it took
    less than 200ms before I got the confirmation email. For the Ruby
    mailing list, it took over 9000ms! Which is 4500% less performant!

    Sam Ettessoc
    p.s. I have no affiliation with ruby or python devloppement team.

    Sam Ettessoc, Mar 12, 2009