Unclear on either EJB3 or JBoss or both

Owen Jacobson

Salve.

From reading various EJB3 introductions, including one of Sun's own at
<http://java.sun.com/developer/EJTechTips/2005/tt0930.html>, it looks like
I should be able to use @EJB annotations in standalone client applications
rather than doing the InitialContext song-and-dance routine to access
beans.

Question 1: is that part of the pending EJB3 specification, or is that a
convenient quirk of the Glassfish implementation?
-
Question 2: can this work under JBoss 4.0.4.GA? If so, how? I would
assume that the @EJB references, which (according to the link above) must
be on static members, in clients, would be resolved as part of static
initialization, which would tend to imply classloader shennanigans.
However, all the JBoss documentation[0] refers to examples I haven't been
able to find and examine.

Help. Frustrated.

Owen

[0] <bitter>HAH</bitter>