Unclear on the concept...

kj

I'm just getting started with XML. One topic I'm confused about
is the issue of self-description. It was my understanding that
there is a standard language for describing the syntax of an
XML-based markup-language such that a generic XML parser could use
this syntax description to validate a document. Am I on the right
track here? Where can I learn more about this particular aspect
of XML technology?

Thanks,

kj

Patrick TJ McPhee

% I'm just getting started with XML. One topic I'm confused about
% is the issue of self-description. It was my understanding that
% there is a standard language for describing the syntax of an
% XML-based markup-language such that a generic XML parser could use
% this syntax description to validate a document.

There are several. The XML standard describes DTDs. The w3c has a
schema language which is mentioned in another reply. OASIS has a
schema language called RELAX NG whose specification is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/spec-20011203.html.
There are other schema languages, but I don't think there are any
others that have gone through any sort of standardisation process.