undefined method `conf' for IRB:Module

Reimundo Heluani

Hello, I'm trying to run dradis and I found a problem that might be on
my ruby installation. I posted in the Dradis forums but noone answered,
so I'll try here. I'm running the latest SVN versions of ruby, wxruby
and wxwidgets, and I see:
Code:
#ruby dradis.rb
event(s) registered: [:exception]
D, [10:52:22#542] DEBUG -- : starting command line interface
/usr/lib64/ruby/1.9.1/irb/input-method.rb:109:in `initialize': undefined
method `conf' for IRB:Module (NoMethodError)
from /usr/share/dradis/client/ui/console.rb:25:in `new'
from /usr/share/dradis/client/ui/console.rb:25:in `initialize'
from dradis.rb:81:in `new'
from dradis.rb:81:in `<main>'

Is this a sign of a broken ruby install or should I look into dradis
instead?

Thanks,

R.

Phillip Gawlowski

Hello, I'm trying to run dradis and I found a problem that might be on
my ruby installation. I posted in the Dradis forums but noone answered,
so I'll try here. I'm running the latest SVN versions of ruby, wxruby
and wxwidgets, and I see:
Code:
#ruby dradis.rb
event(s) registered: [:exception]
D, [10:52:22#542] DEBUG -- : starting command line interface
/usr/lib64/ruby/1.9.1/irb/input-method.rb:109:in `initialize': undefined
method `conf' for IRB:Module (NoMethodError)
from /usr/share/dradis/client/ui/console.rb:25:in `new'
from /usr/share/dradis/client/ui/console.rb:25:in `initialize'
from dradis.rb:81:in `new'
from dradis.rb:81:in `<main>'

Is this a sign of a broken ruby install or should I look into dradis
instead?

Not necessarily a broken Ruby install, but it could be that SVN HEAD is
unstable.
Since it's an IRB module causing the error, I think we can rule out
dradis is the culprit here.

Have you tried using dradis on a stable Ruby / wxRuby?

Reimundo Heluani

Phillip said:
Have you tried using dradis on a stable Ruby / wxRuby?

Thanks for your prompt answer, Actually I had the same problem with
dradis on 1.9.1-p376 and 1.9.1-p243. But without knowing much of the
code, just browsing through it, I'd have to agree with you it doesn't
seem like an issue on Dradis.

R.

Phillip Gawlowski

Thanks for your prompt answer,

A happy accident. :)
Actually I had the same problem with
dradis on 1.9.1-p376 and 1.9.1-p243. But without knowing much of the
code, just browsing through it, I'd have to agree with you it doesn't
seem like an issue on Dradis.

It could be a compatibility issue: If Dradis is not Ruby 1.9.x aware (so
to speak), it could fail in strange ways.

Unfortunately, I do not know where to look (I'm still looking for a
reasonably recent comparison of what's changed from 1.8.6 to 1.9.x
myself), to determine what the issue is, exactly, and if you could work
around it, somehow.

You could try using Ruby 1.8.6 and 1.8.7. That is, if that doesn't break
something else for you.

Alternatively, you could file a bug with dradis, that it doesn't work on
Ruby 1.9.x.

Reimundo Heluani

Phillip said:
You could try using Ruby 1.8.6 and 1.8.7. That is, if that doesn't break
something else for you.

Alternatively, you could file a bug with dradis, that it doesn't work on
Ruby 1.9.x.

It'll take me some time to move things to 1.8.6, but I'll try that in a
few days. In the meantime, just to add a little info I've no clue if
it's relevant. The offending line in input-method.rb is

@stdin = Io_Open(STDIN.to_i, :external_encoding =>
IRB.conf[:LC_MESSAGES].encoding, :internal_encoding => "-")

but If I run on console:

$irb
irb(main):001:0> IRB.conf[:LC_MESSAGES]
=> #<IRB::Locale:0x00000000ae7cf8 @modifier=nil,
@encoding_name="ISO-8859-1", @territory="US", @lang="en",
@locale="en_US.ISO-8859-1", @encoding=#<Encoding:ISO-8859-1>>
irb(main):002:0> IRB.conf[:LC_MESSAGES].encoding
=> #<Encoding:ISO-8859-1>
irb(main):003:0>

Does dradis have to set these before calling
IRB::ReadlineInputMethod.new ?

Thanks R.

Phillip Gawlowski

Does dradis have to set these before calling
IRB::ReadlineInputMethod.new ?

Apparently. But the Dradis developers are probably more knowledgeable
than me. :)