Understanding Favorites Icon & Netscape 7.2 - Long

Jeff Wisnia

Using Netscape 7.2 & Win98SE

Netscape 7.2 will display a page's favorites icon in its browser address
bar. So, since.....

I'm helping SWMBO's niece with updates and improvements to her business
website.

http://www.coreyoga.com

I thought it would be sexy to add a favorites icon, so.....

I created a 16*16 icon with an icon editor, named it "favicon.ico" and
uploaded it to a folder named "images" in her server space.

Then I added this HTML to the code in *each* of her web pages:

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.coreyoga.com/images/favicon.ico">

(I entered it as the last thing before </head> on each page.)

When using Netscape 7.2, if I'm viewing an unrelated web page and switch to:

http://www.coreyoga.com

The site's home page comes up and the favorites icon appears at the left
end of 7.2's browser address bar as expected.

But, clicking any of the page links on that home page causes the clicked
page to come up, but *without* the favorites icon in the browser bar.
And clicking on "Home" from any of those pages brings me back to the
home page, *without* the favorites icon showing.

Here's what I don't get guys:

If I copy the name of a page which is *not* showing the expected
favorites icon from the browser bar to the clipboard, then switch to
some unrelated website like Google and then paste the clipboard's
contents into the browser bar and hit enter, the desired page now comes
up *with* the favorites icon displayed in the browser bar.

It seems like once the favorites icon gets displayed, switching to any
other page in that server directory won't let 7.2 display the favorites
icon, but switching to any of those pages while viewing an unrelated
website lets the favorites icon appear.

WTF?

I'd really enjoy learning what's happening here, and if there's a way to
correct things so that the favorites icon will display whenever viewing
any of her pages, no matter what preceeded their getting there.

Not an issue with IE, since AFAIK it won't display a favorites icon in
the browser address bar and I've already learned by trial and error that
you have to delete an existing favorite from the Favorites list and then
add it back again to get the *current* favorites icon to display in the
Favorites list.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeff said:
Using Netscape 7.2 & Win98SE

Netscape 7.2 will display a page's favorites icon in its browser address
bar. So, since.....

I don't have Netscape on my computers any longer, but your favicon
works as expected in Firefox 1.0.something.

<schnipp>

Jeff Wisnia

Beauregard said:
I don't have Netscape on my computers any longer, but your favicon works
as expected in Firefox 1.0.something.

<schnipp>

Thanx, I had a feeling the problem is likely to be just Netscape specific.

I've asked my question on the Netscape 7.2 newsgroup too.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)