    http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

    Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.

    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Mar 14, 2010

  2. Terry Reedy

    John Nagle Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent:
    > The Mighty Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/
    >
    > Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.
    >
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    Is this available as a paper?

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Mar 15, 2010

  3. Terry Reedy

    Alex Willmer Guest

    Alex Willmer, Mar 15, 2010
  4. On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

    > I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
    > Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

    Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
    crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
    downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine. Before
    crashing, in all four players, it displayed random blocks of colours and
    lines while the sound played.

    Not a good advertisement for either BlipTV or Ogg :(

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Mar 16, 2010
  5. On 16 Mar 2010, at 12:46 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
    >
    >> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
    >> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
    >> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

    > Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
    > crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
    > downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine.

    It played in VLC without problems.

    Greetings,

    Michiel Overtoom, Mar 16, 2010
  6. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/16/2010 7:46 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
    >
    >> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
    >> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.

    Sorry,
    http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3332763/

    which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows

    >> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

    wrong file number

    > Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
    > crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.

    The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
    Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
    others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
    FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
    if that is what you are running under.

    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Mar 16, 2010
  7. On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:04:22 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

    >> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
    >>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.

    > Sorry,
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3332763/
    >
    > which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows
    >

    >>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

    > wrong file number
    >
    >> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
    >> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.

    > The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
    > Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
    > others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
    > FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
    > if that is what you are running under.

    Amusingly, the FLV files play perfectly for me under Linux, while the OGV
    files don't :)

    Thanks for the links, the videos are very interesting.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Mar 18, 2010