    Regards,
    -Tennessee
    , Mar 25, 2011

  2. On Mar 24, 9:21 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Is there a good writeup of what the pystone measurement actually
    > means? I'm working on benchmarking of some Python code at work, and
    > I'm interested in how Pystone might be relevant to me. I've tried
    > googling, but I can't find any introductory / definitional
    > descriptions of what this module/measurement means.

    Pystone provides an estimate of the relative performance of different
    pieces of hardware running single threaded Python apps.

    If your old laptop scores 12000 pystones and your new shiny macbook
    scores 84000, then you can expect your non-i/o bound single threaded
    python apps to run about seven times faster on the new machine.

    Raymond
    Raymond Hettinger, Mar 27, 2011

  3. I forgot to mention that PyStone is just a Python translation from C
    of the venerable Dhrystone benchmark. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhrystone
    for a short write-up on the history, purposes, and limitations of the
    benchmark.

    Raymond
    Raymond Hettinger, Mar 27, 2011