understanding XSLT

MichaelRKramer

Hi,
I'm new to dotnet 2.0, but I'm an expert in asp 3 or classic asp.
Most of my sites are all done with XSLT and ASP which basically writes
XMLs. Now I'm reading about the new cool stuff in visual studio
2005. How does VS 2005 or .net 2.0 work with XSLT's? Is what I've
been doing the best practice or a dumb ass move? Will I not be using
power of 2.0?

Lost programmer

Michael Nemtsev

Hello (e-mail address removed),

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=.NET+2.0+XSLT+feature&btnG=Search

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

M> Hi,
M> I'm new to dotnet 2.0, but I'm an expert in asp 3 or classic asp.
M> Most of my sites are all done with XSLT and ASP which basically
M> writes
M> XMLs. Now I'm reading about the new cool stuff in visual studio
M> 2005. How does VS 2005 or .net 2.0 work with XSLT's? Is what I've
M> been doing the best practice or a dumb ass move? Will I not be using
M> power of 2.0?
M> Lost programmer

Kevin Spencer

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that your work is "done
with XSLT and ASP which basically writes XMLs." It's much to general of a
statement to interpret in any meaningful way. Also, when you ask "How does
VS 2005 or .net 2.0 work with XSLT's?" you're asking a vague question also,
which, when combined with the first statement, makes the question even
harder to figure out, in terms of what you're asking.

Classic ASP is a procedural server-side technology that handles HTTP
requests for pages with a ".asp" extension, and returns content to the
client in the form of a file stream. ASP.Net 2.0 is a .Net platform,
object-oriented server-side technology that handles HTTP requests for a
number of different types of resources, including a configurable variety of
file extensions, and returns content to the client in the form of a file
stream. So, with ASP.Net, you must think completely differently. You must
think purely in terms of object-orientation rather than procedurally.
ASP.Net is fully object-oriented, and includes event handling in its' model.
ASP.Net and the .Net platform include support for XML in many ways,
including XHTML, XSL, XSD, and a number of other flavors of XML, as well as
native XML support.

Visual Studio 2005 also includes much XML support, including excellent
support for XSLT, which includes the ability to debug XSLT. In addition, you
might want to take a look at the new Microsoft Expression Web Design
program, which is specifically for doing UI design, including ASP.Net, but
does not have the server-side coding and debugging features in Visual
Studio. I use both together, and in fact, the upcoming version of Visual
Studio (code-name "Orcas") uses Expression Web as its' ASP.Net Design UI.

Migrating from Classic ASP to ASP.Net is difficult, but highly rewarding,
and recommended. But expect it to be a steep learning curve.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP