Unfixable Tomcat Error !

Discussion in 'Java' started by prashant, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. prashant

    prashant Guest

    I have been trying to solve the following error. I also looked up for
    solutions in the groups and a in couple other websites but nothing
    seems to solve the problem. The following is the problem description:

    I have unzipped & installed tomcat-4.1.30 on Sun Solaris (Unix). I
    run tomcat on port 8118 and it works fine. I also executed a couple of
    examples from <...>/examples/jsp and they work fine too. Then I
    created 2 new folders under webapps as follows
    <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1
    (here users & pkhann1 are the new folders that I created)
    Then I copied the dates folder from <...>/webapps/examples/jsp/dates
    to <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/ and then I created another folder
    WEB-INF/classes as follows
    <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes
    and copied the respective class & java file of dates as follows:
    <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes/JspCalendar.class
    <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes/JspCalendar.java

    But when I try executing dates.jsp, i get the following error:
    HTTP Status 500 -
    type Exception report

    message

    it from fulfilling this request.

    exception

    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: dates.JspCalendar
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.BeanRepository.getBeanType(BeanRepository.java:183)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator$GenerateVisitor.visit(Generator.java:692)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$GetProperty.accept(Node.java:552)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:1028)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody(Node.java:1070)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node.java:1076)
    <snipped for breavity>

    root cause
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: dates.JspCalendar

    I have tried to do the following, but nothing worked:
    1. Copied the web.xml from
    jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/examples/WEB-INF
    to jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF and stopped and
    started the server, but it didn't work.
    2. Tried to add the import page statement in the dates.jsp, but it
    didn't work either.

    Any help would be really appreciated.

    Thanx for your help in advance
    prashant, Apr 22, 2004

  2. prashant

    prashant Guest

    Re: Unfixable Tomcat Error ! -- Fixed It !!!

    Hi!

    Thank u for helping me out. I fixed the problem. I did a page import
    in my dates.jsp and BINGO! it worked. The following is what I added:

    <%@ page import="dates.JspCalendar" %>
    But the dates.jsp under .../webapps/examples/jsp/dates runs fine
    without including the above statement, it isn't so when i execute
    dates.jsp present under .../webapps/users/pkhann1/jsp/dates, when i
    try to run dates.jsp present under this directory, it gives me a
    classNotFounfException(as mentioned in my previous mails).

    If possible please do try to help me out with this.

    Thanx in advance

    prashant, Apr 27, 2004