Unicode and newline characters in XML text sond via Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Krzysztof Fink-Finowicki via .NET 247, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I fill-in text in TEXTAREA tag on HTML page, then send its content via content of XML element parameter sent through WebService function from JavaScript.

    On client side, I can read my text in debugger as:

    <Text>?Omr?de?
    ?hj?lp?</Text>

    (with literal newline).

    On server side, transferred content of XML tag looks as:

    <Text>???Omr??de???
    ???hj??lp???</Text>

    (the newline character is displayed in Notepad as single square).

    Server side text is then stored to database.

    This effect causes:
    - differences between client and server texts regarding newline characters;
    - loss of national characters.

    How and where should I set encoding parameters for Web Service transmission to overcome these problems ?

    Please help.

    Krzysztof

    From: Krzysztof Fink-Finowicki

    <Id>/Mfwl0cO10SwsoCeieqbPg==</Id>
    Krzysztof Fink-Finowicki via .NET 247, Nov 17, 2004