unicode and reading/writing text files

Devin

Hi, I'm working with a csv file that contains Chinese characters.
IfI drag and drop the csv file into firefox, it displays exactly as I
would expect. The English and Chinese characters both appear
correctly.

When I process the file with a script the Chinese characters don't
decode/encode properly. Any suggestions?
(this is actually a vbscript run locally, hope thats not an issue with
anybody)

Code:

option explicit
dim fs, fso, fsi, tstream
dim line
dim ifile, ofile
ifile = "x.csv"
ofile = "y.html"

set fs = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
set fso = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
set fsi = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

set fso = fs.createtextfile(ofile,1,-1)

set fsi = fs.getfile(ifile)
set tstream = fsi.openastextstream(1,-1)

fso.writeline("<html><head><meta http-equiv=""Content-
Type""content=""text/html;charset=utf-8"" ></head><body>")

do while not tstream.atendofstream
dim spl,i

line = tstream.readline
line = replace(line, "||", "<br />")
spl = split(line, vbtab)
for i = 0 to ubound(spl)
fso.write(spl(i))
next
fso.writeline("<hr>")
loop

fso.writeline("</body></html>")

Martin Honnen

Devin said:
Hi, I'm working with a csv file that contains Chinese characters.
IfI drag and drop the csv file into firefox, it displays exactly as I
would expect. The English and Chinese characters both appear
correctly.

When I process the file with a script the Chinese characters don't
decode/encode properly. Any suggestions?

What is the encoding of the file? FSO can do UTF-16 but not UTF-8 for
instance. So you need to find out the encoding of the file and if FSO
can't handle that then perhaps use an ADODB.Stream with the encoding.