Unicode fonts in Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. Guest

    (I confess to having posted this query last week. I got no
    didn't get any responses. So I'm trying again, under a different
    subject line. I'll shut up if I don't hear anything.)

    I'm using a Java-based application (XMLmind) on MsWindows XP SP2,
    which is relevant, because the support for rendering Bengali Unicode
    was fixed in SP2. However, I'm unable to get the fix to be used by
    this Java app.

    Specifically, I want the app to use a particular font, the Vrinda.ttf
    font, for Unicode Bengali (but not for other regions of Unicode).
    Can't seem to make it work.

    I've been advised to edit the fontconfig file, using the instructions
    at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/fontconfig.html.
    The instructions seem (to me) a bit unclear; apparently Java looks for
    a file with a name like 'fontconfig.properties' (there are no
    fontconfig.XP.properties files, etc. on my PC). I don't have such a
    file, only the compiled version, but I also have the source for that
    compiled version, namely fontconfig.properties.src. If I'm
    understanding the instructions correctly, you just copy that
    fontconfig.properties.src file to fontconfig.properties, and edit the
    latter; I guess Java then reads the fontconfig.properties file at
    startup rather than the fontconfig.properties.bfc file, which
    presumably means starting takes fractionally longer. If on the other
    hand I need to compile my modified fontconfig.properties file, that
    probably explains my lack of results--but I don't know how to compile
    it.

    I'm also not certain what I have to do to make Java re-load the
    fontconfig.properties file. I'm assuming that if I shut down XMLmind,
    and re-start it, that Java also shuts down and re-starts, and in re-
    starting it reads in the modified fontconfig.properties file.
    (Actually, I just checked that with the Windows Task Manager, and
    indeed Java is shutting down when I close XMLmind. Whether Java is
    reading in my munged fontconfig.properties file, I can't tell.)

    Assuming I've guessed right thus far, I made the following changes to
    the fontconfig.properties file, following the existing code for
    Devanagari:

    --Added a line at the top of the 'Component Font Mappings':
    allfonts.bengali=Vrinda
    --Modifed the UTF-8 Search Sequence line to include Bengali:
    sequence.allfonts.UTF-8.hi=alphabetic/
    1252,devanagari,bengali,dingbats,symbol
    --Added a line at the top of the 'Font File Names':
    filename.Vrinda=VRINDA.TTF
    (The vrinda.ttf file is indeed in my Windows/fonts directory.)

    This has no effect; XMLmind is still not using the Vrinda font to
    render UTF-8 Bengali text.

    A couple things occur to me. How does Java know what to do with the
    string 'bengali'? Does it in fact know that this refers to the
    Unicode range U+0980 to U+09FF? Does Java actually read the
    fontconfig.properties file, i.e. is fontconfig.properties.src the
    correct format, or do I need to compile this file? If so, how? Or is
    it perhaps the case that XMLmind overrides what Java thinks it's
    supposed to do for rendering Bengali text? (The XMLmind people are
    the ones who told me to mung the fontconfig.properties file, so I
    don't think this is the case; but how could I test it, i.e. how can I
    get raw Java to render some Bengali text for me?)

    Suggestions?

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ U MD
    , Mar 19, 2007

  2. schrieb:
    > (I confess to having posted this query last week. I got no
    > didn't get any responses. So I'm trying again, under a different
    > subject line. I'll shut up if I don't hear anything.)
    >
    > I'm using a Java-based application (XMLmind) on MsWindows XP SP2,
    > which is relevant, because the support for rendering Bengali Unicode
    > was fixed in SP2. However, I'm unable to get the fix to be used by
    > this Java app.
    >
    > Specifically, I want the app to use a particular font, the Vrinda.ttf
    > font, for Unicode Bengali (but not for other regions of Unicode).
    > Can't seem to make it work.
    >
    > I've been advised to edit the fontconfig file, using the instructions
    > at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/fontconfig.html.

    [...]
    > Suggestions?

    I checked the bengali characters on my system (WindowsXP, with SP2) with
    my "Unicode Character Table" applet at
    <http://www.myjavaserver.com/~thomasfritsch/unicode.html> (selected font
    "Vrinda" in the toolbar, and selected block "980:BENGALI" from the
    "Block" menu).
    As far as I can say (without knowing any bengali), the bengali
    characters are rendered correctly.

    Note that I did *not* touch any of Java's fontconfig files.
    Having the "Vrinda.ttf" file in my Windows/fonts directory seems to be
    just enough.

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Thomas Fritsch wrote:
    > I checked the bengali characters on my system (WindowsXP, with SP2) with
    > my "Unicode Character Table" applet at
    > <http://www.myjavaserver.com/~thomasfritsch/unicode.html> (selected font
    > "Vrinda" in the toolbar, and selected block "980:BENGALI" from the
    > "Block" menu).
    > As far as I can say (without knowing any bengali), the bengali
    > characters are rendered correctly.
    >
    > Note that I did *not* touch any of Java's fontconfig files.
    > Having the "Vrinda.ttf" file in my Windows/fonts directory seems to be
    > just enough.

    I'm afraid I have completely misunderstood your goal.

    Now I think you want your application to correctly display the Bengali
    characters (0980-09FF) when any Java's logical font (like "Dialog",
    "Serif", "SansSerif") is selected.
    When writing my previous answer I thought you wanted to display Bengali
    characters when the selected font is "Vrinda" (which is almost trivial).

    So I created a file "fontconfig.properties" (as a copy of
    "fontconfig.properties.src") and did the 3 modifications you described:
    > --Added a line at the top of the 'Component Font Mappings':
    > allfonts.bengali=Vrinda
    > --Modifed the UTF-8 Search Sequence line to include Bengali:
    > sequence.allfonts.UTF-8.hi=alphabetic/1252,devanagari,bengali,dingbats,symbol
    > --Added a line at the top of the 'Font File Names':
    > filename.Vrinda=VRINDA.TTF

    When checking it with
    <http://www.myjavaserver.com/~thomasfritsch/unicode.html> (selecting
    font "Dialog", and going to block "980:BENGALI"), the Bengali characters
    were all rendered as a sqare box.
    So far the same disappointing result like you got.

    I made one further change to "fontconfig.properties":
    --Modifed the Default Search Sequence line to include Bengali:
    sequence.allfonts=alphabetic/default,bengali,dingbats,symbol
    When again checking it with

    Thomas Fritsch, Mar 20, 2007

    On Mar 20, 10:47 am, Thomas Fritsch <>
    wrote:
    > I'm afraid I have completely misunderstood your goal.
    >
    > Now I think you want your application to correctly display the Bengali
    > characters (0980-09FF) when any Java's logical font (like "Dialog",
    > "Serif", "SansSerif") is selected.

    Correct, although I guess I didn't explain it very well.

    > So I created a file "fontconfig.properties" (as a copy of
    > "fontconfig.properties.src") and did the 3 modifications you described
    > I made one further change to "fontconfig.properties":
    > --Modifed the Default Search Sequence line to include Bengali:
    > sequence.allfonts=alphabetic/default,bengali,dingbats,symbol
    > When again checking it with
    > <http://www.myjavaserver.com/~thomasfritsch/unicode.html> (selecting
    > font "Dialog", and going to block "980:BENGALI"), the Bengali
    > characters are rendered correctly!!!

    Thanks! I verified that this works using another applet that someone
    gave me, and it works there too. Unfortunately, XMLmind still shows
    blocks instead of Bengali characters (as does jEdit, another Java
    app). But at least now I can go back to the XMLmind folks and tell
    them what I found.

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL / U MD
    , Mar 20, 2007