Unicode humor

Sven

I saw this this morning and the first thing I thought of was this list...

unlike you I was too lazy to post it :)

MRAB

The problem with English humour (as against standard humor) is that
its not unicode compliant
British humour includes "double entendre", which is not French-compliant.

Chris Angelico

The problem with English humour (as against standard humor) is that
its not unicode compliant

Unicode humour was carefully laid out to incorporate English humour.
In fact, if you use the standard variable-length-joke encoding, it's
possible for a Unicode joke to be decoded as if it were an English
joke, without any actual knowledge of Unicode. Unfortunately, this can
result in non-compliant English humour publishers producing jokes that
come out as gibberish in the rest of the world. Fortunately, we then
get to laugh at them.

ChrisA

Ethan Furman

The problem with English humour (as against standard humor) is that
its not unicode compliant

Is so! It fits inside the first 127 code points!!

As a bonus it also takes less brain power^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H space. ;)

Steven D'Aprano

By the skywriter, or by the two on the ground, or by Randall Munroe?

Obviously by all three. It takes *hours* to execute

'è'*1000.replace('è', 'ã')

using a skywriting plane, so obviously it isn't Unicode compliant.

Mark Lawrence

Unicode humour was carefully laid out to incorporate English humour.
In fact, if you use the standard variable-length-joke encoding, it's
possible for a Unicode joke to be decoded as if it were an English
joke, without any actual knowledge of Unicode. Unfortunately, this can
result in non-compliant English humour publishers producing jokes that
come out as gibberish in the rest of the world. Fortunately, we then
get to laugh at them.

ChrisA

This simply shows bias to the English speaking world, as does Python
unicode, at least in 3.3+. I wouldn't mind betting that other languages
can't cope, e.g. can 3.3+ manage the top secret joke that's so deadly
even the Germans die laughing?

Chris Angelico

This simply shows bias to the English speaking world, as does Python
unicode, at least in 3.3+. I wouldn't mind betting that other languages
can't cope, e.g. can 3.3+ manage the top secret joke that's so deadly even
the Germans die laughing?

It most certainly can. However, the space it takes up depends on how
you encode the combining characters; for maximal efficiency of
transmission, you would want to use the fully-composed version,
because like music, if it isn't composed, it's decomposed.

ChrisA

Dennis Lee Bieber

Obviously by all three. It takes *hours* to execute

'è'*1000.replace('è', 'ã')

using a skywriting plane, so obviously it isn't Unicode compliant.
But is fully conformant with Python's immutable string type as one
has to fly the new skywriting path -- and then maybe garbage collect the
old message (maybe using a swath of helicopters to wipe out/disperse the
lettering)