Unicode (UTF-8)

dorayme

You saying it's this freedom thing?

Yes. It has to do with freedom.[/QUOTE]

I am suspicious Luigi! When you first came to alt.html, I had the
theory that you were a wizard and had cast a spell on everyone.
There is not much wiggle room (freedom) when under a spell.

(This is so even though I now have another contending theory:
that Luigi is married to Eliza)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Yes. It has to do with freedom.

I am suspicious Luigi! When you first came to alt.html, I had the
theory that you were a wizard and had cast a spell on everyone.
There is not much wiggle room (freedom) when under a spell.[/QUOTE]

Time to change your theory, perhaps?
Can you speak Swedish?

(This is so even though I now have another contending theory:
that Luigi is married to Eliza)

I am not married.
Back to UTF-8, how do I save a document in Wordpad as UTF-8???

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am not married.
Back to UTF-8, how do I save a document in Wordpad as UTF-8???

I work on Macs. On PCs I am perpetually confused. But I recall
that in Word one can "save as" and a drop down menu is available,
Rich text format and so on. Maybe Word Pad has some options...
but it is a pretty basic editor, no?

While on about Windows, how do you set Word pad to be the default
editor for all .html files on an old Windows 98? Notepad, I
cannot get to respect breaks... Notepad from view source from IE6
wraps ok but is basically no line breaks!

I work on Macs. On PCs I am perpetually confused. But I recall
that in Word one can "save as" and a drop down menu is available,
Rich text format and so on. Maybe Word Pad has some options...
but it is a pretty basic editor, no?

The problem is that I do not find Rich text either in Word or in Wordpad...
I can write the text in for example Outlook using UTF-8 and then copy and
paste it in
Wordpad. However, I cannot save it as Rich text.
While on about Windows, how do you set Word pad to be the default
editor for all .html files on an old Windows 98? Notepad, I
cannot get to respect breaks... Notepad from view source from IE6
wraps ok but is basically no line breaks!

I use Notepad for short html files and Wordpad for long files and for files
with the php extension.
See
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/zh/test.php

Toby Inkster

dorayme said:
Notepad, I cannot get to respect breaks... Notepad from view source
from IE6 wraps ok but is basically no line breaks!

Notepad will only treat "\r\n" (DOS-style line break) as a line break.
Many other editors, even on Windows, will also allow a plain "\n"
(Unix-style) or "\r" (Classic-Mac--style) as a line break.

dorayme

Toby Inkster said:
Notepad will only treat "\r\n" (DOS-style line break) as a line break.
Many other editors, even on Windows, will also allow a plain "\n"
(Unix-style) or "\r" (Classic-Mac--style) as a line break.

I am trying to figure out if this points to a convenient way of
managing.

When I am trying to look at my webpages in IE on an old 98
Windows box, it would be very convenient to be able to tweak the
css sheet and source there and then. The source and css was
originally made on a Mac and is formatted in basic ways.
(Particularly unfancy in my case: no indentation at all - saves
screen space). Otherwise, things look a bit like what many
browsers do automatically when you "View source", things are on
separate lines.

I am miffed as to how to get IE to present the source in WordPad
which more easily respects the normal Mac made layout. Context
menus and preferences just seem not to include "open with" or
"always open with". IE seems obsessively married to Notepad? It
does not seem right to me, it looks unhealthy. Has it no
independence?

I am acutely conscious of my Windows cluelessness (to use Mr.
Dingleys excellent phrase)

I am also fed up with the number of "I"s I have used. It looks as
if I have tabs on myself, am self-centred in some way.

Luigi Donatello Asero

.. IE seems obsessively married to Notepad?
Why do you think that?
IE can also be used with Wordpad, at least I do that for long files and
files with the .php extension...

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
IE seems obsessively married to Notepad?

IE can be configured to open the source in any program. But beware - it
has a habit of rewriting the source before opening it - you're better
off using a real browser.

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
IE can also be used with Wordpad, at least I do that for long files and
files with the .php extension...

You are looking at a website in IE. What do you actually do to
look at the source in WordPad. Here is your chance, Luigi, to
help another being. Don't blow it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

IE can be configured to open the source in any program. But beware - it
has a habit of rewriting the source before opening it - you're better
off using a real browser.

Well perhaps I had better ask the question somewhere else.....

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
You are looking at a website in IE. What do you actually do to
look at the source in WordPad. Here is your chance, Luigi, to
help another being. Don't blow it.

I was talking about coding the html/php file not about browsing the
website....

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

IE can be configured to open the source in any program.
How?

But beware - it has a habit of rewriting the source before opening it

I _have_ noticed absurd things like this from time to time. (I
could hardly believe my eyes, in another connection, that it
changed my lower case file names: this.css to This.css
you're better off using a real browser.

I am not falling for this one, Mark! But I like the helter
skelter madcap Monty Python scene:

Feller needs to see what that lemon, the Leyland P76 is like to
drive. He goes to the car sales yard. He sees a Jag there. He
test drives that and leaves. A "?" mark floats above his head as
he walks home wondering how that lemon, the Leyland P76 would
have performed.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

No idea. :-D

I don't use IE, I just know I've done it in the past. I'll have a look
for you.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

Tools>Internet Options>Programs (tab)

Change HTML editor to your program of choice. You can only select what's
in the drop-down list though, you can't add anything. I'm guessing it
gets that list from the programs associated with HTML files in Windows,
but I haven't looked into it that closely.

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Tools>Internet Options>Programs (tab)

Change HTML editor to your program of choice. You can only select what's
in the drop-down list though, you can't add anything. I'm guessing it
gets that list from the programs associated with HTML files in Windows,
but I haven't looked into it that closely.

Thanks, I will look next time I fire up my Winbox. I do recall
somewhere an obvious option simply not being in the dropdown for
this sort of thing... must look on eBay for a cheap but much
better box that can run XP comfortably, I think that OS has more
intelligence built in....