    Normally I'd see something more like this: iso-8859-1

    So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of unicode in html?

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > I've never given a lot of thought to charsets in html
    >
    > But I've seen this (thanks Richard, see previous thread)

    Well that is what is known as "tosh". "Unicode" isn't a character set, its a
    group of character sets. UTF-8 UTF-16 and UTF-32.

    Meta http-equiv is also pretty rubbish, with limited support. This
    information should be sent using http headers.

    > Normally I'd see something more like this: iso-8859-1
    >
    > So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of unicode in html?

    Same as anywhere else. Different character sets have different characters in
    them. Unicode character sets happen to be rather larger, so its possible to
    mix characters from different alphabets in a single document.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > brucie <> wrote:
    >
    >>A tutorial on character code issues
    >>http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

    > Or maybe first
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.var
    > which is much shorter and specifically about characters and encodings in
    > HTML context.

    I also have some discussion of character sets/encodings in my sites:

    http://webtips.dan.info/char.html
    (discussion of character sets, encodings, and fonts from a Web
    development perspective)

    http://mailformat.dan.info/body/charsets.html
    (discussion of character sets/encodings in e-mail)

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Jul 11, 2004