unicode

Jeff Thies

I've never given a lot of thought to charsets in html

But I've seen this (thanks Richard, see previous thread)

Normally I'd see something more like this: iso-8859-1

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of unicode in html?

Jeff

David Dorward

Jeff said:
I've never given a lot of thought to charsets in html

But I've seen this (thanks Richard, see previous thread)

Well that is what is known as "tosh". "Unicode" isn't a character set, its a
group of character sets. UTF-8 UTF-16 and UTF-32.

Meta http-equiv is also pretty rubbish, with limited support. This
information should be sent using http headers.
Normally I'd see something more like this: iso-8859-1

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of unicode in html?

Same as anywhere else. Different character sets have different characters in
them. Unicode character sets happen to be rather larger, so its possible to
mix characters from different alphabets in a single document.

Daniel R. Tobias