Uniformity

Mr Newbie

Now I know that VS2005 has master pages and web parts etc etc. However, at
present I am forced to work with VS2003 so I have a couple of basic
questions related to the subject matter for which I am hoping to achieve
inspirational and or direction.

Having learnt a reasonable amount of the basic's on ASP.NET, I know want to
try and design and build a fully working commercial site I want to create my
new site with a degree of visual consistency.

Unfortunately I am not using VS2005 so I need to know what my options are
for producing some sort of template is.

I need to define the areas on my page which will contain the menu custom
controls and any corporate graphics etc so I can simply create a page from a
template.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me before I go ahead and get
myself in a whole heap of trouble?

Guest

The key to uniformity is Styles/StyleSheets/Css
Ensure that you use the same styles across the board and you should be
pretty well on your way. Beyond that, what I've always done is simply create
a page and use that as my template. Whenever I need to create a new page I
copy that one, rename it and do what I need.
Using controls for things like headers, menus, footers, etc will also go a
LONG way to ensure uniformity.

Mr Newbie

Style Sheets are something I am very familiar with. My question was more
based on the ease in which I could create new pages based on a template.
Dont forget you have to create the code behind and resources as well for
each one, as well as modifying any code references etc.

Ideally, I would like to create a 'Template' which I could select from the
Add new item.

Hope that makes sense.!

Marina

Yes, you can add templates to visual studio.

If you install to the default directory, you can go to: C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vb7

And look at the types of templates you can add for VB projects. You can do
similar things for other languages by going to their directory.

But you will see here template folders for projects, items, etc. If you go
in, you will see the different types that you see in VS.NET defined. You can
then create your own, and all you have to do is put your item types in the
right spot, and next time you open visual studio it will make them
available.