uninstall and Windows file associations

Roger Miller

When I installed Python 2.5 (on Windows XP) I left 2.4 in place "just
in case". Today I decided to remove it. However after doing so (from
the control panel) I found that Windows no longer knows about the
Python file types and associations. Is this behavior expected, or was
there something wrong with my installation? Is there a way to restore
the file associations, short of reinstalling 2.5 or manually editing
them?

Neil Hodgson

Roger Miller:
When I installed Python 2.5 (on Windows XP) I left 2.4 in place "just
in case". Today I decided to remove it. However after doing so (from
the control panel) I found that Windows no longer knows about the
Python file types and associations. Is this behavior expected,

This is pretty much inevitable on Windows as there is no generic
support to handle this sort of situation. Python could attempt to do its
own special case handling (with a registered list of Python
installations and an arbitration/repair phase in the uninstaller) but it
would be a lot of work and quite fragile.

Just reinstall your preferred version. You may want to check which
extensions have been installed into Python so that they can also be
reinstalled if needed.

Neil

Trent Mick

Roger said:
When I installed Python 2.5 (on Windows XP) I left 2.4 in place "just
in case". Today I decided to remove it. However after doing so (from
the control panel) I found that Windows no longer knows about the
Python file types and associations. Is this behavior expected, or was
there something wrong with my installation? Is there a way to restore
the file associations, short of reinstalling 2.5 or manually editing
them?

ActivePython handles that case by providing a "Repair" functionality in the
installer. I'm not sure if the python.org Windows installer has that
functionality (it probably does). Just try invoking the .msi file again.

And, as Neil said, you can just reinstall.

Trent