uninstall/install/upgrade?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by heitkamp@ameritech.net, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I've googled around for answers on this subject but have not found
    any that actually answers my questions to my statisfaction.

    I have several successive versions of perl installed on my system,
    specifically 5.6.1, 5.8.0, and 5.8.2. I use the configure/Configure
    scripts to install perl. I have not to this point used rpm or dpkg
    to install perl -a long story that I don't want to get into. In any
    event, I see that 5.8.3 is out and I want to keep up with the latest
    version.

    To uninstall my old versions of perl is it sufficient to blow away
    the old /usr/lib/perl5/5.x.y directory or is this going to break a lot
    of things? Does the new version of perl, when installed, know or care
    about these old directories. Does it search for installed modules in
    these directories. If it does, can new versions actually run all or
    most of the old modules. Note that though I understand it may be a
    lot of work, I am not adverse to reinstalling modules. I have a
    good dsl connection and I have used MCPAN.

    The main things I'm worried about is programs finding old modules
    instead of newer versions, also if the old modules are just taking
    up disk space, then getting rid if them would seem to be appropriate
    anyway.

    I suppose one may want to keep the last stable major version around
    for compatibility reasons, say for example 5.6.1. Is this true?
    If there are identically named modules in the old version and the
    new version, how do I know which one gets run?

    Lastly, out of curiosity, why has no module uninstaller or perl
    uninstaller been included natively in perl? When the modules are
    listed in MCPAN what modules is it showing? Is it just the modules
    from the last installed version?

    Any thoughts welcome.

    --

    Fred

    Error Loading Explorer.exe
    You must reinstall Windows.
    , Feb 23, 2004

  2. Ben Morrow Guest

    wrote:
    > To uninstall my old versions of perl is it sufficient to blow away
    > the old /usr/lib/perl5/5.x.y directory

    Yes. You may also want to check the binaries and symlinks in /usr/bin.

    > or is this going to break a lot
    > of things? Does the new version of perl, when installed, know or care
    > about these old directories. Does it search for installed modules in
    > these directories.

    When you Configure it, you get to choose where it looks. By default it
    will look in old perls' site_perl directories, but not in the core
    stuff.

    > If it does, can new versions actually run all or most of the old
    > modules.

    5.6 -> 5.8 broke binary compatibility. Perl knows this, though, so as
    long as all your .sos are properly in site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/ (or
    whatever) you won't have any problems.

    > Note that though I understand it may be a lot of work, I am not
    > adverse to reinstalling modules. I have a good dsl connection and I
    > have used MCPAN.

    CPAN.pm. The M is simply the switch: perl -M CPAN.

    You may wish to investigate the CPAN.pm 'autobundle' command, which will
    let you automatically reinstall all modules under a newer perl.

    > The main things I'm worried about is programs finding old modules
    > instead of newer versions, also if the old modules are just taking
    > up disk space, then getting rid if them would seem to be appropriate
    > anyway.

    Check the default @INC at installation time; in general, perl will
    search newer places before older places.

    > I suppose one may want to keep the last stable major version around
    > for compatibility reasons, say for example 5.6.1. Is this true?

    Well, maybe... 5.8 has been out and labelled 'stable' for quite a while
    now, though.

    > If there are identically named modules in the old version and the
    > new version, how do I know which one gets run?

    perl5.8.3 -MA::Module -le'print $INC{"A/Module.pm"}'

    > Lastly, out of curiosity, why has no module uninstaller or perl
    > uninstaller been included natively in perl?

    Err... I'm pretty sure that both the perl source distro and MakeMaker
    makefiles support 'make uninstall': this means you have to have the
    source tree around, of course. Also, CPANPLUS supports uninstall.

    Ben

    --
    If I were a butterfly I'd live for a day, / I would be free, just blowing away.
    This cruel country has driven me down / Teased me and lied, teased me and lied.
    Ben Morrow, Feb 23, 2004