    You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -- Steven Wright
    ---
    please visit www.serpia.org

    dimitri pater, Sep 18, 2007

  2. In message <>, dimitri
    pater wrote:

    > I would like to uninstall Python2.5 which was installed
    > from source (make install) and keep 2.3.

    How about doing the make install again, and making a note of which files
    were installed, and removing those?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2007

  3. dimitri pater

    cyberco Guest

    On Sep 18, 9:03 am, "dimitri pater" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > both python2.3 and python2.5 are installed on my Debian webserver. For
    > some reason, I would like to uninstall Python2.5 which was installed
    > from source (make install) and keep 2.3.
    > I have tried make uninstall and searched the web, but that did not help me.
    > I guess rm -Rf python2.5 is not a wise thing to do.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dimitri
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -- Steven Wright
    > ---
    > please visitwww.serpia.org

    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in /usr/bin/
    there is a symbolic link named 'python' that points to a python
    version in the same directory. I had the same issue and just
    redirected the pointer (deleted the old one and created an new one
    with the same name that pointed to the python version I wanted to use
    when invoking 'python'). Having said that, the other python version is
    still installed...(which was no problem at all in my case).

    cyberco, Sep 21, 2007
  4. > I have tried make uninstall and searched the web, but that did not help me.
    > I guess rm -Rf python2.5 is not a wise thing to do.

    It's part of the solution. There is no automated install procedure; you
    have to manually remove everything that got installed. In <prefix>/bin,
    it's most files that have 2.5 in their name, plus any links to them. In
    <prefix>/lib, it's python2.5. In <prefix>/include, it's python2.5. Plus
    a few things that I probably forgot.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Sep 22, 2007