uninstalling ruby

Andy Black

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to uninstall ruby.
The network administrator who is installing ruby on our server put 5
different copies/versions on the server and now have trouble updating
the gems.
I read that there is no uninstaller for ruby. Is that true?
We just want to remove everything and restart again. Any help is
greately appreciated.

Many Thanks,
-Andy

John Gabriele

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to uninstall ruby.

Depends upon the procedure followed when it was installed.

If you didn't change --prefix, then my guess is that uninstalling is
going to be tedious. Maybe folks here can offer some tips on what to
look for and delete from your /usr/local.
The network administrator who is installing ruby on our server put 5
different copies/versions on the server and now have trouble updating
the gems.
I read that there is no uninstaller for ruby. Is that true?

It's true that there's no "make uninstall" target.
We just want to remove everything and restart again. Any help is
greately appreciated.

Many Thanks,
-Andy

Assuming you're on GNU/Linux:

1. With great care, remove what got installed in /usr/local by the
2. Next time, install in, say, /opt by following the instructions at
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/InstallingRuby under "Custom
Install on GNU/Linux". That way, uninstalling is as easy as "rm -fr
/opt/ruby-1.x.y".

---John