    greately appreciated.

    Many Thanks,
    -Andy

    Andy Black, Sep 11, 2006

  2. On 9/11/06, Andy Black <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if there is a way to uninstall ruby.

    Depends upon the procedure followed when it was installed.

    If you didn't change --prefix, then my guess is that uninstalling is
    going to be tedious. Maybe folks here can offer some tips on what to
    look for and delete from your /usr/local.

    > The network administrator who is installing ruby on our server put 5
    > different copies/versions on the server and now have trouble updating
    > the gems.
    > I read that there is no uninstaller for ruby. Is that true?

    It's true that there's no "make uninstall" target.

    > We just want to remove everything and restart again. Any help is
    > greately appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > -Andy

    Assuming you're on GNU/Linux:

    1. With great care, remove what got installed in /usr/local by the
    2. Next time, install in, say, /opt by following the instructions at
    http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/InstallingRuby under "Custom
    Install on GNU/Linux". That way, uninstalling is as easy as "rm -fr
    /opt/ruby-1.x.y".

    ---John
    John Gabriele, Sep 11, 2006