    libsfan01 Guest

    hi all

    in trying to uninstall the mac version of ruby how can i do this?

    libsfan01, Jan 21, 2007

  2. libsfan01

    libsfan01 Guest

    My reason for wanting to uninstall is that ive tried to install the
    latest version but terminal is still telling me that the version is
    1.8.2 not 1.8.5 that i downloaded, so it must have gotten messed up
    somewhere right?

    libsfan01, Jan 21, 2007

  3. libsfan01

    Gene Tani Guest

    libsfan01 wrote:
    > My reason for wanting to uninstall is that ive tried to install the
    > latest version but terminal is still telling me that the version is
    > 1.8.2 not 1.8.5 that i downloaded, so it must have gotten messed up
    > somewhere right?

    There's been numbers of posts on installing Rails from Locomotive,
    darwinport/Macports or source recently:

    http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/07/11/installing-rails-on-mac-os-x-tiger
    http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/10/17/installing-rails-on-mac-os-x-tiger-10-4-8
    http://www.sitening.com/blog/2006/05/21/ruby-on-rails-with-os-x-tiger/

    http://www.slashdotdash.net/articles/2006/11/10/apple-macbook-pro-setup-for-a-rails-coder
    http://blog.pjkh.com/2007/1/15/building-rails-and-all-its-friends-on-osx
    http://mandhro.com/2006/06/16/setting-up-intel-mac-for-rails-development/

    http://blog.labratz.net/articles/20...he-whole-rails-stack-rmagick-libraries-on-osx

    I forget which one i followed. You don't hear too much about fink
    these days. And i don't know about the factory-installed ruby, but
    there's stern warnings in my OS X books abotu not uninstalling the
    factory-installed perl and python.

    Gene Tani, Jan 21, 2007
  4. libsfan01

    Phrogz Guest

    libsfan01 wrote:
    > My reason for wanting to uninstall is that ive tried to install the
    > latest version but terminal is still telling me that the version is
    > 1.8.2 not 1.8.5 that i downloaded, so it must have gotten messed up
    > somewhere right?

    Probably your PATH environment variable is set to use the
    tiger-installed version, instead of your new version. Observe:

    slim:~ gavinkistner$ /usr/bin/ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

    slim:~ gavinkistner$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0]

    slim:~ gavinkistner$ env
    [...snip...]
    PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
    [...snip...]

    slim:~ gavinkistner$ which ruby
    /usr/local/bin/ruby

    In other words, Apple's build lives in /usr/bin, my latest stable build
    lives in /usr/local/bin. If I just type "ruby", the PATH environment
    variable chooses which directories to look in, and the order to look.
    IIRC had to change my PATH to put my local bin directory before
    /usr/bin, because I always wanted programs that I had built and
    installed to supercede existing installs.

    If you really want, you can go in as root and rename /usr/bin/ruby (and
    irb and rdoc and others) to have a different name, like ruby182. Or you
    could delete them, and hope that nothing relied on them. But I'd just
    go with the PATH solution.

    Phrogz, Jan 21, 2007
  5. libsfan01 wrote:
    > My reason for wanting to uninstall is that ive tried to install the
    > latest version but terminal is still telling me that the version is
    > 1.8.2 not 1.8.5 that i downloaded, so it must have gotten messed up
    > somewhere right?
    >

    > libsfan01 wrote:
    >
    >> hi all
    >>

    >> in trying to uninstall the mac version of ruby how can i do this?

    No, don't uninstall the version of Ruby that comes with OS X. That
    version is installed in the /usr/bin directory. When you installed Ruby
    yourself, you probably installed it (assuming you built it from source
    and took the defaults) in /usr/local/bin. All you have to do is make
    sure your $PATH variable has /usr/local/bin preceding /usr/bin. When you
    execute the "ruby" command OS X will search the directories in the order
    listed by $PATH and will find your ruby in /usr/local/bin.

    Check it out like this. Enter this command:

    /usr/bin/ruby -v

    You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.2". Then enter:

    /usr/local/bin/ruby -v

    You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.5"

    Of course, if you specified another prefix when you ran the configure
    script, or if you installed Ruby from MacPorts or fink, then Ruby is
    installed in a different directory.

    For more information about PATH, do a "man bash" in an OS X terminal window.

    Timothy Hunter, Jan 21, 2007
  6. libsfan01

    libsfan01 Guest

    > You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.5"

    Yes it seems to be the case that its looking for the wrong version.
    timothy how can i change the setting of the path variable so that the
    latest version is accessed? (from "usr/bin/ruby" to
    "usr/local/bin/ruby")?

    thanks

    marc

    libsfan01, Jan 21, 2007
  7. libsfan01

    libsfan01 Guest

    libsfan01, Jan 21, 2007
  8. libsfan01 wrote:
    >> You'll probably get "ruby 1.8.5"
    >>

    > Yes it seems to be the case that its looking for the wrong version.
    > timothy how can i change the setting of the path variable so that the
    > latest version is accessed? (from "usr/bin/ruby" to
    > "usr/local/bin/ruby")?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > marc

    PATH is an environment variable that the bash shell uses when it
    searches for a command. In bash you set environment variables like this:

    export VAR=value

    Notice there's no leading $ in the name when it's on the left-hand side
    of the assignment. When you want to get the value of an environment
    variable you precede its name with a $. Now, you want to prepend
    /usr/local/bin to the current value of PATH. Enter this command:

    echo $PATH

    This will show you the current value of PATH. Then enter:

    export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

    (Directories in the PATH are separated by colons.) issue "echo $PATH"
    again to ensure that the change worked.

    Now enter "ruby -v". You should see "ruby 1.8.5" because OS X found ruby
    in /usr/local/bin.

    Of course you don't want to have to redefine your PATH variable every
    time you open a terminal. To get your PATH set the way you want it every
    time you can add this command to a bash configuration script. The bash
    shell gets its configuration from a number of scripts. I believe the
    preferred one for this sort of thing is .bash_profile. The bash shell
    looks for this file in your home directory. You may already have such a
    file. If so, save a backup copy, open it in a text editor and add the
    command on a separate line. If the file doesn't already exist, create it
    and add these two lines:

    #! /bin/bash
    export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

    Save the file, close the terminal window and open a new one. Issue "echo
    $PATH" again to see your changed PATH. Issue "ruby -v" and ensure that
    you're getting "ruby 1.8.5".

    Warning: be careful. If you screw up your path many things in OS X will
    stop working. If you encounter problems (like commands not working) just
    delete your .bash_profile (or restore it to its previous state) and try
    again. Always close the terminal window and open a new window after
    making a change.

    For more info search for bash on the web or issue the "man bash" command
    in a terminal window.

    Timothy Hunter, Jan 21, 2007
  9. libsfan01

    Aaron Massey Guest

    I have a similar problem. I installed a manually compiled version of
    ruby, rails and gem at /usr/local/bin. They all work fine and I have my
    environment variables setup so that I can use them in a Terminal without
    problems. However, when I start WEBrick, it is defaulting to the Mac OS
    X version of rails. Where can I set the version of ruby that WEBrick
    should be using?

    Thanks in advance!

    Aaron Massey, Sep 20, 2007
  10. libsfan01

    John Joyce Guest

    I posted something about it on my blog recently, after a recent OS X
    update screwed up my $PATH
    That's something you need to spend the time looking into.
    The one-click installer may or may not replace the old Ruby, but the
    Hivelogic install directions will get you what you want.
    Don't worry though, only 1 more likely update to OS X 10.4 (10.4.11)
    and 10.5 will be out with a working Ruby.
    You should install the mongrel gem though. It makes a much more
    responsive test server with the built in apache. (and you don't have
    to turn apache off to use it, and most hosts providing shell access
    and ruby/rails will be on apache anyway.
    The book Rails Solutions, from Friends of ED, has an excellent
    install/setup for Ruby and Rails in it.

    John Joyce, Sep 20, 2007
  11. libsfan01

    Aaron Massey Guest

    Thanks for the responses! Obviously, removing the Apple installation of
    ruby and replacing it with simlinks works.

    I ended up installing mongrel and using that to solve the problem though
    if only because I don't like blowing away files that Apple might simply
    replace in future updates.

    I did want to point out that the other recommendation I received does
    not work. It was actually what I did when I originally installed ruby
    manually, so perhaps it is useful to post a sample session that shows
    the problem more clearly:

    /* my local install ruby is first in my path */
    bash $ which ruby
    /usr/local/bin/ruby

    /* note the versions of my manual install and of the default */
    bash $ /usr/local/bin/ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [powerpc-darwin8.10.0]
    bash $ /usr/bin/ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

    /* see which one WEBrick is picking? */
    bash $ ./script/server
    => Booting WEBrick...
    => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
    => Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options
    [2007-09-20 19:37:03] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1
    [2007-09-20 19:37:03] INFO ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    [2007-09-20 19:37:03] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=795 port=3000

    For some reason, even though I have /usr/local/bin listed first in my
    path (as Hivelogic suggests in their manual install instructions) the
    WEBrick server still uses the Apple default ruby installation. It could
    be a weirdness with the way Apple sets up their default $PATH variable
    or it could be that WEBrick simply ignores local environment variables.

    I can't determine which is the case because I really don't know much
    about WEBrick and I can't find where OS X sets up its default
    environment variables. (Though, I would like to know if anyone knows
    off the top of their head...)

    If it is a problem with WEBrick, I would be willing to file a bug or
    whatever to help the developers. Obviously, I would like to confirm it
    before wasting their time. I guess it's kind of a simple bug, but this
    is the sort of thing that looks like it would have high visibility with
    new rails developers on Mac OS X. Maybe it only shows up as a problem
    until Apple releases their next OS, but there could be folks stuck on OS
    X 10.4.x for a while afterwards that might run into this. It could also
    manifest later in some form.

    It is perhaps useful to point out that because I've also installed gem
    in the following location:

    bash $ which gem
    /usr/local/bin/gem

    As a result, anything I install via gem is ignored by WEBrick. For
    example, trying to start up a rails app with an sqlite3 database (which
    uses the sqlite3 plugin I've installed via gem) provides an error
    message:

    bash $ gem list --local sqlite3

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    sqlite3-ruby (1.2.1)
    SQLite3/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
    SQLite3 database.
    bash $ ./script/server
    => Booting WEBrick...
    => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
    => Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options
    [2007-09-20 19:44:13] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1
    [2007-09-20 19:44:13] INFO ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    [2007-09-20 19:44:13] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=799 port=3000

    ===+ WEB BROWSER ERROR MESSAGE +===
    No such file to load -- sqlite3
    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `gem_original_require'
    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
    ===+ TRUNCATED FOR CLARITY +===

    Anyhow, because mongrel is installed via a gem, it seems to recognize
    the other gems installed on the system, so I'm going to use that for
    now. However, it does seem that the only fully functional recourse in
    some cases appears to be actually blowing away the Apple install of
    ruby.

    Thanks again for the help!

    Aaron Massey, Sep 21, 2007
  12. libsfan01

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > However, it does seem that the only fully functional recourse in
    > some cases appears to be actually blowing away the Apple install of
    > ruby.

    Free yourself from the slowness of Apple! :D

    PS: Compiling ruby from source is very easy too. Perl is a little bit
    more annoying. (Python compiled fine too, maybe its a paradigma thing
    that perl has a slightly weird build-system from source compared to
    ruby/python)

    Marc Heiler, Sep 21, 2007
  13. libsfan01

    John Joyce Guest

    well, what you missed at Hivelogic is this: the $PATH variable can be
    and is set in more than one dot file.
    bash_login
    bash_rc
    profile

    etc...

    There can be a precedence for these, based on which one gets loaded
    first or last.
    What you need to do is investigate what all you have on your machine.
    You need to check more than just your home directory too. You should
    check some things higher up.
    this is all shell stuff, it could be true in any shell, but the most
    common used on OS X is Bash.
    I recommend picking up a copy of Unix in a Nutshell. ( you need to
    have a reference like this around anyway and this one is good for
    multiple *nixes )
    It has a nice section on Bash configuration, so you'll always have a
    reference of where to look for these things.
    sometimes when you install software or run updates, this stuff gets
    changed.
    Usually what happens is another bit of software prefers to use
    something for all *nix systems rather than using what is commonly
    used on a particular system. For example, I installed a newer Python
    recently, and it gummed things up because it created a dot file that
    wasn't there before. This is really a problem with Bash. It allows
    multiple files in multiple places to determine your $PATH all
    together, so it can take a little work to track it all down. The key
    is to get it how you want it/need it all in one file and then comment
    out the stuff in the other dot files and leave a comment of why and
    what it was for, including the date. This will give you reference in
    the future.
    Don't be afraid to comment the hell out of those dot files that store
    PATH information. You need it for when (not if) your PATH gets
    screwed up.

    John Joyce, Sep 21, 2007
  14. libsfan01

    Aaron Massey Guest

    Felix Windt wrote:
    > If you do a "cat script/server" from the base directory of your rails
    > application, what Ruby path does the shebang line point to?
    >
    > Felix

    #!/usr/bin/ruby

    This was the problem. Normally it is "#!/usr/bin/env ruby" but I had
    pulled a rails project from a friend's svn server and apparently it was
    setup differently on his system. I simply never thought to look there.

    At least it wasn't forgetting to set my environment variable in bash.
    I've been using bash for around 12 years now and I'm familiar with the
    various ways of setting environment variables on *nix systems. ;-)

    Thanks for all the help folks!

    Actually, now that I think about it. Is there a way to reset the
    shebangs on all the rails scripts without inadvertently pushing them
    back to svn? That's going to be a bit of a pain if we're fighting over
    the shebangs with every commit.

    Aaron Massey, Sep 21, 2007
  15. libsfan01

    Une Bévue Guest

    Aaron Massey <> wrote:

    > I have a similar problem. I installed a manually compiled version of
    > ruby, rails and gem at /usr/local/bin. They all work fine and I have my
    > environment variables setup so that I can use them in a Terminal without
    > problems. However, when I start WEBrick, it is defaulting to the Mac OS
    > X version of rails. Where can I set the version of ruby that WEBrick
    > should be using?

    may be u've to setup yours :

    ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

    here is mine :

    ~%> cat ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>ANT_HOME</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/ant</string>
    <key>BATIK_HOME</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/batik-1.7</string>
    <key>CLASSPATH</key>
    <string>.</string>
    <key>DIRSTACKSIZE</key>
    <string>10</string>
    <key>DISPLAY</key>
    <string>:0.0</string>
    <key>DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH</key>
    <string>/usr/local/lib:/opt/local/lib:/usr/lib</string>
    <key>FPATH</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/Library/init/zsh/func_dir</string>
    <key>GEM_HOME</key>
    <string>/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8</string>
    <key>JAVA_HOME</key>

    <string>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home<
    /string>
    <key>JGEM_HOME</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8</string>
    <key>JRUBYGEMS</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/jruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8</string>
    <key>JRUBY_BIN</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/jruby/bin</string>
    <key>JRUBY_HOME</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/bin/jruby</string>
    <key>LC_CTYPE</key>
    <string>fr_FR.UTF-8</string>
    <key>LD_LIBRARY_PATH</key>

    <string>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libra
    iries</string>
    <key>MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET</key>
    <string>10.4</string>
    <key>PATH</key>

    <string>/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin:/Users/yt/SVN/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scrip
    ts:/Users/yt/bin/ant/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/s
    bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/Users/yt/bi
    n:/Developer/Tools:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
    2.3/bin</string>
    <key>PS1</key>
    <string>%{%}%~%#%{%}&gt; </string>
    <key>RUBYGEMS</key>
    <string>/opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8</string>
    <key>RUBYLIB</key>

    <string>/opt/local/lib/ruby/:/opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8</string>
    <key>RUBYOPT</key>
    <string>rubygems</string>
    <key>TERM</key>
    <string>xterm-color</string>
    <key>TERM_PROGRAM</key>
    <string>iTerm.app</string>
    <key>ZDOTDIR</key>
    <string>/Users/yt/Library/init/zsh</string>
    <key>__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING</key>
    <string>0x1F9:0:0</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>