uninstalling/upgrading Ruby

Alex Nedelcu

Hi,

I have Ruby 1.8.2 installed on a RHEL 3 server from the tarball, install
with the usual make/make install procedure.
How can I uninstall Ruby so I can install Ruby 1.8.4 ?

Also, can you tell how could I build a RPM package so I don't have to
worry about it in the future ?

Sorry about asking, I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux.

Thanks,

John Gabriele

Hi,

I have Ruby 1.8.2 installed on a RHEL 3 server from the tarball, install
with the usual make/make install procedure.
How can I uninstall Ruby so I can install Ruby 1.8.4 ?

Unfortunately, there's probably no customary "make uninstall". Where
is your version of 1.8.2 installed? You might be able to remove it
manually...

When installing it yourself, you might give Ruby its own install
directory, as described here:
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/InstallingRuby (scroll down
to "Custom Install on GNU/Linux"). This makes for easy removal for
upgrading later on.
Also, can you tell how could I build a RPM package so I don't have to
worry about it in the future ?

If you follow the instructions for putting Ruby off in its own
directory, you don't need an rpm.

---John

Erik Veenstra

I have Ruby 1.8.2 installed on a RHEL 3 server from the
tarball, install with the usual make/make install procedure.
How can I uninstall Ruby so I can install Ruby 1.8.4 ?

# ls -ld /usr/local/*/{ruby,irb,erb,testrb,rdoc,ri}
# rm -rf /usr/local/*/{ruby,irb,erb,testrb,rdoc,ri}

Use it at your own risk!

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

Mat Schaffer

Hi,

I have Ruby 1.8.2 installed on a RHEL 3 server from the tarball,
install with the usual make/make install procedure.
How can I uninstall Ruby so I can install Ruby 1.8.4 ?

Also, can you tell how could I build a RPM package so I don't have
to worry about it in the future ?

Sorry about asking, I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux.

Thanks,

Chances are good that you can just install 1.8.4. It'll likely
overwrite the old stuff assuming you didn't provide any switches to
the install process.

You can google for how to build RPMs, but it's not easy. The reason
it knows where all the files are is because someone took the time to
list them all in the SPEC file in the RPM. Go for it if you want,
but I'd bet the spray-n-pray method will work fine for you.
-Mat

Justin Collins

Mat said:
Chances are good that you can just install 1.8.4. It'll likely
overwrite the old stuff assuming you didn't provide any switches to
the install process.

You can google for how to build RPMs, but it's not easy. The reason
it knows where all the files are is because someone took the time to
list them all in the SPEC file in the RPM. Go for it if you want, but
I'd bet the spray-n-pray method will work fine for you.
-Mat
Before you do that, you probably want to see where Ruby is currently:

whereis ruby

Then use ./configure --prefix=/that/prefix

For example:

whereis ruby => /usr/local/bin/ruby

Then use

/configure --prefix=/usr/local/