unique number for each object?

petermichaux

Hi,

Is there an internally assigned number for each JavaScript object that
I can read? If so how would I do that?

Thanks,
Peter

Richard Cornford

Is there an internally assigned number for each JavaScript object
that I can read? ...

No. If you want unique identifiers for JS objects you have to create
them yourself (and it is useful to think about how unique they need to
be before you start).

Richard.

petermichaux

Richard said:
No. If you want unique identifiers for JS objects you have to create
them yourself (and it is useful to think about how unique they need to
be before you start).

Thanks Richard,

What unexpected considerations need to be made when making a unique id?
I am currently using a prefix and a counter together as a string for
the identifier. The counter increments each time a constructor makes a
new object.

Peter