    Thanks in Advance!
    -Michael
    , Mar 22, 2006

  2. Robert Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have something rather unique. I'm creating a cookie for
    > customization for a webpage. But I want to tie the user to a machine
    > (not friendly, I know, but for what I'm doing, it's got to be done).

    Sounds more like something you would usually implement server-side.
    Maybe by looking at the ip address?
    Remember that anyone can look into their cookies and copy the
    information to a cookie on another computer.
    Robert, Mar 22, 2006

    I can't impliment server-side (I'd like to, but can't. project
    restriction).

    IP address would be sufficient, if it didn't change.

    The cookie is going to be permanent (and encrypted). The code will
    check the data in the cookie against something that is unique to the
    system. If the IP changes, then that piece wouldn't be unique.

    I'm looking for something like a system bios serial number or
    something.

    Maybe the better question would be "what can a page w/ javacript on it
    access on the local machine w/out coming from a trusted site?"

    Thanks again in advance!
    -Michael
    , Mar 23, 2006
  4. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 23 mrt 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > I can't impliment server-side (I'd like to, but can't. project
    > restriction).
    >
    > IP address would be sufficient, if it didn't change.
    >
    > The cookie is going to be permanent (and encrypted). The code will
    > check the data in the cookie against something that is unique to the
    > system. If the IP changes, then that piece wouldn't be unique.
    >
    > I'm looking for something like a system bios serial number or
    > something.

    Holy grail search?
    No this impossible.

    Clientside encription?
    Not sensible.

    Unique IP?
    Proxy users share the IP with tousantds at a time.

    Project restriction?
    A serious programmer tells his empoyer
    not to insist on impossible requirements.

    > Maybe the better question would be "what can a page w/ javacript on it
    > access on the local machine w/out coming from a trusted site?"

    if you mean:
    w/ -> with
    local machine -> clientside
    javascript -> clientside javascript
    can -> is sensible

    The domain's cookies.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Mar 23, 2006
  5. Paul Cooper Guest

    On 23 Mar 2006 10:09:06 -0800, wrote:

    >I can't impliment server-side (I'd like to, but can't. project
    >restriction).
    >
    >IP address would be sufficient, if it didn't change.
    >
    >The cookie is going to be permanent (and encrypted). The code will
    >check the data in the cookie against something that is unique to the
    >system. If the IP changes, then that piece wouldn't be unique.
    >
    >I'm looking for something like a system bios serial number or
    >something.
    >
    >Maybe the better question would be "what can a page w/ javacript on it
    >access on the local machine w/out coming from a trusted site?"
    >
    >Thanks again in advance!
    >-Michael

    IP addresses are often dynamic and cannot be relied on as a "unique
    system identifier". Worse, is that IP addresses are often dynamic but
    rarely change - the IP address on my home machine is dynamic, but
    changes infrequently, so something might appear to work for a period
    then fail without warning. Further, all the computers on an internal
    network using the private ranges of IP addresses may expose the same
    IP address to the world.

    MAC addresses might be better, but they are often "spoofed" - most
    routers etc. provide tools to allow this (it is often necessary where
    a router replaces an existing piece of equipment whose MAC address is
    registered with an ISP, for example).

    The answer to your last question is "Nothing without asking the user
    to install additional software"

    Good luck!

    Paul
    Paul Cooper, Mar 24, 2006