Unit Testing an ASP.NET Website using VS2008 Pro

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dmeglio@gmail.com, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I've just ported an ASP.NET project from VS 2003 to 2008. In 2003, I
    was using NUnit to test. Under 2008, I don't get a single DLL for my
    website, so I can't use NUnit anymore. Additionally, I'd prefer to use
    the built in VS2008 Pro tools. I don't want to actually test ASPX
    functionality, rather I have several classes that are in my App_Code
    folder. I can't build a "test project" because there is no DLL for me
    to reference so that I can test my App_Code. So, I tried adding the
    test cases to a cs file in App_Code directly. First, when I click on a
    class and do "Create Unit Tests", it fails with: There was an
    unexpected error in displaying the Create Unit Tests Dialog. Please
    rebuild and try again.

    Naturally, I have tried rebuilding numerous times. Next I tried adding
    a reference to Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting and
    manually specifying [TestClass] and [TestMethod] it seems that it
    still doesn't work. When I try to run the tests, I'm told that there
    aren't any.

    Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Again, I'm not looking to
    test ASPX functionality, I'm looking to test classes contained in
    App_Code, so I don't think that whole UrlToTest() thing is necessary,
    or am I wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    , Jun 12, 2008

  2. Move your classes from App_Code to their own libraries. Then, you will have
    no problem using a unit test framework to test your functionality.

    The other options are:

    1. Publish and set nUnit to point to those files
    2. Embed the tests in a subfolder of App_Code and run inside the project
    (this forces flipping from web app to library, which can be a pain in the
    ____!

    Of course that does not solve the "create stubs" issue, which will be solved
    when you move your code to a class library project.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jun 12, 2008

    On Jun 12, 2:08 pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
    <> wrote:
    > Move your classes from App_Code to their own libraries. Then, you will have
    > no problem using a unit test framework to test your functionality.
    >
    > The other options are:
    >
    > 1. Publish and set nUnit to point to those files
    > 2. Embed the tests in a subfolder of App_Code and run inside the project
    > (this forces flipping from web app to library, which can be a pain in the
    > ____!
    >
    > Of course that does not solve the "create stubs" issue, which will be solved
    > when you move your code to a class library project.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    >
    > Subscribe to my bloghttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
    >
    > or just read it:http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    > | Think outside the box!                               |
    > ********************************************<> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I've just ported an ASP.NET project from VS 2003 to 2008. In 2003, I
    > > was using NUnit to test. Under 2008, I don't get a single DLL for my
    > > website, so I can't use NUnit anymore. Additionally, I'd prefer to use
    > > the built in VS2008 Pro tools. I don't want to actually test ASPX
    > > functionality, rather I have several classes that are in my App_Code
    > > folder. I can't build a "test project" because there is no DLL for me
    > > to reference so that I can test my App_Code. So, I tried adding the
    > > test cases to a cs file in App_Code directly. First, when I click on a
    > > class and do "Create Unit Tests", it fails with: There was an
    > > unexpected error in displaying the Create Unit Tests Dialog. Please
    > > rebuild and try again.

    > > Naturally, I have tried rebuilding numerous times. Next I tried adding
    > > a reference to  Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting and
    > > manually specifying [TestClass] and [TestMethod] it seems that it
    > > still doesn't work. When I try to run the tests, I'm told that there
    > > aren't any.

    > > Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Again, I'm not looking to
    > > test ASPX functionality, I'm looking to test classes contained in
    > > App_Code, so I don't think that whole UrlToTest() thing is necessary,
    > > or am I wrong?

    > > Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

    Maybe I'm missing something. If I can't run tests on code in
    App_Code... why even have App_Code?

    , Jun 12, 2008