Unit Testing ASP.NET 1.1 w/NUnit

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Hofer, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Mike Hofer

    Mike Hofer Guest

    I need some advice, folks, and I'm hoping you can provide it.

    First off, a few disclaimers:

    1.) I am an ardant advocate of code quality. Especially, my own.

    2.) I am maintaining a massive ASP.NET 1.1 code base that has no unit
    tests built for it with NUnit or any other testing framework.

    3.) Moving to .NET 2.0 and VSTS is not an option.

    I am familiar with NUnit, and TDD in general. However, the base NUnit
    library (last time I looked) doesn't natively support testing of
    ASP.NET pages. In particular, if I want to test session state
    management, viewstate management, and so forth, I'm out of luck unless
    I first do a whole lot of refactoring (destabilizing the code).

    While I'm all for cleaning up the code, I'm also for getting the
    product out the door on time. I only refactor when it's necessary.
    Anyway, I digress.

    So my point is this: Is there an add-on for NUnit that tests ASP.NET
    pages (specifically, targeting .NET Framework 1.1) that you recommend,
    and if so, why?

    I found NUnitAsp, and it looks promising, but I'd rather not
    experiment on a working codebase. (I'll test it on some sample code
    first.) You can find the link to NUnitAsp here:

    http://nunitasp.sourceforge.net/

    Any pointers you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike Hofer

    Mike Hofer, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Jon Paal [MSMD], Mar 30, 2007

  3. Mike Hofer

    Mike Hofer Guest

    On Mar 30, 1:37 pm, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon[ nospam ]Paal @ everywhere
    dot com> wrote:
    > here's another option...
    >
    > http://www.superexpert.com/Blog/Archive/4.aspx

    The Selenium IDE looks like it requires your pages to be designed
    BEFORE you script the tests. Isn't that the inverse of TDD? (Test
    before you code?)

    Mike Hofer, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Yes, but I am not always a purist. :)

    The nUnitASP project is fine for testing your ASP.NET apps. I would
    recommend getting used to it prior to hooking it up to your application, but
    it works nicely.

    Overall, I suggest moving all non-UI code to libraries. You can then attach
    unit tests to all of that code. The only thing left for nUnitAsp (or
    similar) to test is UI code, which is normally not where your big problems
    lie. While this is a good practice, it goes counter to most of the examples
    on the web and in books (which heavily embed code into the pages, mostly
    code behind, but some actually mix code in the tagged pages - YUCK!).

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Mar 30, 2007
  5. As indicated, it's an option.

    'Before' or 'after' test development for websites is sort of a chicken and egg thing. It's hard to define/build tests if you
    haven't defined what is going to be tested....

    Jon Paal [MSMD], Mar 30, 2007
  6. Jon Paal [MSMD], Mar 30, 2007