    Sandip Bhattacharya * Puroga Technologies *
    Work: http://www.puroga.com * Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

    PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3
    Sandip Bhattacharya, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Sandip Bhattacharya

    John Roth Guest

    I believe there are xUnit clones named
    Httpunit and Htmlunit, as well as a number
    of variants. See the huge list of xUnit
    clones on:

    http://www.xprogramming.com/

    in the downloads section. I don't think
    any of them are Python based, though.

    You might also want to look at some of
    the Htmlunit integration into FIT and
    Fitnesse.

    You can frequently get discussions on
    the Yahoo TDD list.

    John Roth

    John Roth, Feb 12, 2005

  3. There's another current thread on c.l.py talking about testing Web
    applications. Somenone suggested Jython in conjunction with HttpUnit, a
    combination that worked for me too -- but the name HttpUnit is
    misleading, since it does functional/black box testing and not unit
    testing. It beats scraping Web pages though, so it may be sufficient
    for what you need. You can see a mini-tutorial I wrote at
    http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/02/web-app-testing-with-jython-and.html

    I don't know any Python-specific frameworks for Web app unit testing.
    In the Java world, there's Cactus at http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/.
    To quote from that page, "Cactus is a simple test framework for unit
    testing server-side java code (Servlets, EJBs, Tag Libs, Filters,
    ....)." So this is pretty much Java-centric and may not help you much.
    Grig Gheorghiu, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Sandip Bhattacharya

    richard Guest

    Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
    > Can someone suggest me some good resources for learning how to use
    > unittests for web applications? Do we always have to cook up our own
    > webpage scrapers to test the code?

    http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/webunit/

    Richard
    richard, Feb 12, 2005