Universal approach to <applet> tag

Bura Tino

Hi,

Can someone direct me to a page which discusses the HTMLnecessary to make
your applet work in all browsers? My applets work in explorer, but not in
netscape or mozilla. It also depends on the operating system on version of
the plug in (1.3 or 1.4). I'm not asking about coding issues and jvm issues,
<comment>, etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Bura

Roedy Green

Can someone direct me to a page which discusses the HTMLnecessary to make
your applet work in all browsers? My applets work in explorer, but not in
netscape or mozilla. It also depends on the operating system on version of
the plug in (1.3 or 1.4). I'm not asking about coding issues and jvm issues,
<comment>, etc.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html

The original applet tags work fine in all browsers. Others will
disagree, but I say ignore that object embed crap. It is crap and must
be rejected as totally unacceptable.

Your problem come INSIDE the Applet. You have to stick to old Java
classes and methods if you try to support the original MS JVM. It is
time to abandon MS. They don't support it. They don't even let you
download it. Tell people if they want to use your Applet they have to
get a recent browser and Sun's JVM, same as any other plug-in.