Universal Browser Friendly HTML Code

Jack Gates

Where besides W3C is a good source for writing web page code that is
properly functional in all of the popular web browsers? Meaning it will
display the page the same way as close as possible in any browser.

Thanks,

Jack

Kris

Jack Gates said:
Where besides W3C is a good source for writing web page code that is
properly functional in all of the popular web browsers? Meaning it will
display the page the same way as close as possible in any browser.

Here.

Whitecrest

Where besides W3C is a good source for writing web page code that is
properly functional in all of the popular web browsers? Meaning it will
display the page the same way as close as possible in any browser.

Well I have been told over and over what it looks like in a browser is
unimportant because everyone is only interested in content rather than
presentation so, if it validates publish it.
Thanks,
Jack

No problem. (I personally don't follow that advice)

Neo Geshel

Jack said:
Where besides W3C is a good source for writing web page code that is
properly functional in all of the popular web browsers? Meaning it will
display the page the same way as close as possible in any browser.

Thanks,

Jack

The problem with HTML (or XHTML for that matter) is that it is just
markup to bring meaning to the content. HTML itself does not provide any
formatting whatsoever. The common misconception is that an
<h1>Title</h1> will cause the text to be bold, centered and very, very
large. THIS IS WRONG!! The only reason that this markup/text combination
would exhibit this type of formatting is because the browser
manufacturer has associated some basic formatting with the <h1> tag. The
current standard of HTML (XHTML 1.1 Strict) has NO provisions for visual
formatting. If you want to have content looking reasonably similar in
different browsers, use CSS.

I hope this helps.
....Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Barry Pearson

Neo said:
The problem with HTML (or XHTML for that matter) is that it is just
markup to bring meaning to the content. HTML itself does not provide
any formatting whatsoever. The common misconception is that an
<h1>Title</h1> will cause the text to be bold, centered and very, very
large. THIS IS WRONG!! The only reason that this markup/text
combination would exhibit this type of formatting is because the
browser manufacturer has associated some basic formatting with the
<h1> tag. The current standard of HTML (XHTML 1.1 Strict) has NO
provisions for visual formatting. If you want to have content looking
reasonably similar in different browsers, use CSS.

That is true enough, but Jack has a good point. He didn't ask for perfection,
but "as close as possible". And use of CSS can be overdone.

For example, I too want my pages to look similar in a wide range of browsers
at their default setting. This includes text sizes. But does that mean I
should specify font properties in the body-rule of all my CSSs?

In fact, to avoid interfering with anyone who prefers their own settings, and
to avoid the problem that IE doesn't resize text with "px" properties
properly, I have taken the opposite approach, and I don't specify font
properties in my body-rules at all. Then if I want to change sizes for a
particular purpose, I use "%". This approach appears to work on my platform
and on the browsers I test with at their default settings, and is "user
friendly" (I hope).

But I am sure it goes wrong elsewhere, and on other platforms my pages are
probably becoming distorted. I could fix that by being more precise in the
CSS, but is that wise? I want what Jack may want - minimal controls in what I
publish to obtain maximum similarity at browsers' default settings.