unix emacs

Øyvind

Hi

I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
The program makes .java-files for each class.

How does he do that?

David Zimmerman

Øyvind said:
Hi

I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
The program makes .java-files for each class.

How does he do that?

Ask him.

EMACS is just about an operating system, comes with it's own scripting
language, one can do just about anything, including sending a note to
Mom telling her you'll be home for Thanksgiving.

It sounds like he has written some stuff that helps him in java mode

Andreas Wollschlaeger

Øyvind said:
Hi

I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
The program makes .java-files for each class.

How does he do that?
Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember correctly...

Cheers
Andreas

Michael Borgwardt

David said:
EMACS is just about an operating system, comes with it's own scripting
language, one can do just about anything, including sending a note to
Mom telling her you'll be home for Thanksgiving.

And browse the Web. And play Tetris. An get psychological counseling.
(None of these are jokes.)
It sounds like he has written some stuff that helps him in java mode

He doesn't need to, others have done that.

Jim Sculley

Andreas said:
Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember correctly...

<sarcasm>
How intuitive.
</sarcasm>

Jim S.

Jon A. Cruz

Jim said:
<sarcasm>
How intuitive.
</sarcasm>

Actually... it is. Or ends up better than

Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
after a bit of use.

So... for an editor I'll be using for a significant ammount of work,
I'll take faster in day-to-day over easier-the-very-first-time any day.

:)

(If you take a look at that, you'll see that for the average typist it
breaks down to "hold control and hit three keys in sequence, right next
to each other")

Jim Sculley

Jon said:
Actually... it is. Or ends up better than

Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
after a bit of use.

Not for me.

Jim S.

brougham5

Jon A. Cruz said:
Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
after a bit of use.

That has been my experience, as well. Ask me what "chord" I press to do a
certain action, and I'll have to move my fingers to the right position and
then figure out what keys those are. Emacs has a very steep learning
curve...but after that, you're home free and never need to learn another
editor if you don't wish to.

brougham5

Michael Borgwardt said:
And browse the Web. And play Tetris. An get psychological counseling.
(None of these are jokes.)

Don't forget the text adventure game. :)