    classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
    The program makes .java-files for each class.

    How does he do that?

    Øyvind, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Øyvind wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
    > classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
    > The program makes .java-files for each class.
    >
    > How does he do that?

    Ask him.

    EMACS is just about an operating system, comes with it's own scripting
    language, one can do just about anything, including sending a note to
    Mom telling her you'll be home for Thanksgiving.

    It sounds like he has written some stuff that helps him in java mode

    David Zimmerman, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Øyvind wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
    > classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few commands.
    > The program makes .java-files for each class.
    >
    > How does he do that?

    Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
    features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember correctly...

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Wollschlaeger, Jan 23, 2004
  4. David Zimmerman wrote:
    > EMACS is just about an operating system, comes with it's own scripting
    > language, one can do just about anything, including sending a note to
    > Mom telling her you'll be home for Thanksgiving.

    And browse the Web. And play Tetris. An get psychological counseling.
    (None of these are jokes.)

    > It sounds like he has written some stuff that helps him in java mode

    He doesn't need to, others have done that.

    Michael Borgwardt, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Øyvind

    Jim Sculley Guest

    Andreas Wollschlaeger wrote:
    > Øyvind wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have seen someone who just open unix emacs, type his java code with all
    >> classes on the same screen. Then he compiles everything with a few
    >> commands.
    >> The program makes .java-files for each class.
    >>
    >> How does he do that?
    >>

    > Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
    > features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember correctly...

    <sarcasm>
    How intuitive.
    </sarcasm>

    Jim S.

    --
    Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via email.

    Jim Sculley, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Øyvind

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Jim Sculley wrote:
    > Andreas Wollschlaeger wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
    >> features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember
    >> correctly...

    > <sarcasm>
    > How intuitive.
    > </sarcasm>

    Actually... it is. Or ends up better than

    Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
    after a bit of use.

    So... for an editor I'll be using for a significant ammount of work,
    I'll take faster in day-to-day over easier-the-very-first-time any day.

    :)

    (If you take a look at that, you'll see that for the average typist it
    breaks down to "hold control and hit three keys in sequence, right next
    to each other")

    Jon A. Cruz, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Øyvind

    Jim Sculley Guest

    Jon A. Cruz wrote:
    > Jim Sculley wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas Wollschlaeger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps jde-mode (Try Alt-X jde and then the tab key). Has some nice
    >>> features, eg. invokes ant to build with ^C^V^B, if i remember
    >>> correctly...

    >> <sarcasm>
    >> How intuitive.
    >> </sarcasm>

    > Actually... it is. Or ends up better than
    >
    > Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
    > after a bit of use.

    Not for me.

    Jim S.
    --
    Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via email.

    Jim Sculley, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Øyvind

    Guest

    "Jon A. Cruz" <> wrote:

    >Emacs bindings tend to hit muscle memory, so they become very quick
    >after a bit of use.

    That has been my experience, as well. Ask me what "chord" I press to do a
    certain action, and I'll have to move my fingers to the right position and
    then figure out what keys those are. Emacs has a very steep learning
    curve...but after that, you're home free and never need to learn another
    editor if you don't wish to.

    , Jan 25, 2004
  9. Øyvind

    Guest

    Michael Borgwardt <> wrote:

    >And browse the Web. And play Tetris. An get psychological counseling.
    >(None of these are jokes.)

    Don't forget the text adventure game. :)

    , Jan 25, 2004