Unix Shell

Greg Johnson

I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
Perl, Wscript, etc. I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do this?

I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they can
get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

Thanks in advance.
-Greg

James Byrne

Greg said:
I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do this?
Try the Pickaxe book, the first edition is available on-line in pdf
format. You can pass commands to the shell directly using back ticks `s
-l > dirlisting.txt` or the %x expansion %x{echo "me, me, me..."}

Regards,
Jim

Gregory Seidman

}
} I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
} when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they can
} get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

There are two ways. One way:

file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
file_list.each { |line|
puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
}

The other way:

system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

} Thanks in advance.
} -Greg
--Greg

Greg Johnson

Thanks for the tips, they work like a charm. Does anyone know why the
search functionality doesn't work?

Robert Klemme

Gregory said:
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:23:08AM +0900, Greg Johnson wrote:
} I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
} Perl, Wscript, etc. I'd like to be able to run items from the
shell } such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do
this? }
} I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
} when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they
can } get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

There are two ways. One way:

file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
file_list.each { |line|
puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
}

The other way:

system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

There are plenty of other ways.

system "ls", "-l"
system "bash", "-c", "ls -l > dirlisting.txt"
Dir["*"].each {|f| File.symlink? f and puts f}

Cheers

robert