Unixoid tools in Ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    The discussion on a Ruby oriented Linux is limited to init scripts in
    Ruby, Ruby scripts to compile software from source and the like.

    I think that much more people would benefit from Ruby tools that at
    least emulate but preferably extend Unix tools. This would e.g. allow
    Windows users to use such tools without having to install MKS toolkit
    or Cygwin. I think this would be a 'killer application' for Ruby.

    Design guidelines should be:

    - Whenever feasible in terms of performace use plain Ruby. Only if
    absolutely unavoidable use a C extension that still is portable
    but requires compilation.

    - Start with the minimum functionality of the original Unix command
    and afterwards extend it to that of GNU tools or beyond.

    Most complex task: Creating a Ruby shell close to a Unix shell. It
    should start with the features of a true sh and then extend it to
    something close to a zsh. zsh is better than the obvious choice bash
    because it allows to use C style syntax for many control structures
    without the disadvantages of csh or tcsh.

    That's just my 0.02 EUR

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <> writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > The discussion on a Ruby oriented Linux is limited to init scripts in
    > Ruby, Ruby scripts to compile software from source and the like.
    >
    > I think that much more people would benefit from Ruby tools that at
    > least emulate but preferably extend Unix tools.

    The "Perl Power Tools" project does (did?) exactly this with Perl.
    From their homepage (http://www.perl.com/language/ppt/):

    "Welcome to the Unix Reconstruction Project. Our goal is quite
    simply to reimplement the classic Unix command set in pure Perl,
    and to have as much fun as we can doing so."

    --
    Pierre-Charles David (pcdavid <at> emn <dot> fr)
    Computer Science PhD Student, École des Mines de Nantes, France
    Pierre-Charles David, Oct 23, 2003