    Thanks.

    --
    Bob Hairgrove

    Bob Hairgrove, Jan 16, 2004

  2. wouldnt_you_like@to_know.com (Bob Hairgrove) wrote:

    When writing on such a subject, you should really use a newsreader
    that is capable to declare the encoding ("charset") in messages.
    Get version 1.93!

    > Does anyone know offhand which single-byte code page maps the German
    > Umlaut character "?" to hexadecimal 8A?

    In <http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/ROMAN.TXT> ,
    character x8A is "a with diaeresis" (ä).

    --
    Top-posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

    Andreas Prilop, Jan 16, 2004

  3. On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:17:35 +0100, Andreas Prilop
    <-hannover.de> wrote:

    >wouldnt_you_like@to_know.com (Bob Hairgrove) wrote:

    >When writing on such a subject, you should really use a newsreader
    >that is capable to declare the encoding ("charset") in messages.
    >Get version 1.93!

    The problem is irrelevant to my newsreader. We are encountering these
    problems at work where we are decompressing binary data stored in 2D
    barcodes and storing the result in XML files. Within the data itself,
    there is no indication of the code page, and we get the data from a
    variety of systems, from a scan workflow, the internet, etc. It's
    pretty wild.

    >> Does anyone know offhand which single-byte code page maps the German
    >> Umlaut character "?" to hexadecimal 8A?

    >In <http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/ROMAN.TXT> ,
    >character x8A is "a with diaeresis" (ä).

    Thanks!

    Bob Hairgrove, Jan 17, 2004
  4. On Sat, Jan 17, Bob Hairgrove inscribed on the eternal scroll:

    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:17:35 +0100, Andreas Prilop
    > >
    > >When writing on such a subject, you should really use a newsreader
    > >that is capable to declare the encoding ("charset") in messages.

    [..]
    > The problem is irrelevant to my newsreader.

    If you're going to post to usenet, then I'd say Andreas offered good
    advice about doing it. And particularly if you're posting about
    character coding problems.

    As we see, this shortcoming _was_ relevant to your description of the
    problem, even if it wasn't relevant to the problem itself:

    > >> Does anyone know offhand which single-byte code page maps the German
    > >> Umlaut character "?" to hexadecimal 8A?

    Communication failed.

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 17, 2004
  5. On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:35:35 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, Jan 17, Bob Hairgrove inscribed on the eternal scroll:
    >
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:17:35 +0100, Andreas Prilop
    >> >
    >> >When writing on such a subject, you should really use a newsreader
    >> >that is capable to declare the encoding ("charset") in messages.

    >[..]
    >> The problem is irrelevant to my newsreader.

    >If you're going to post to usenet, then I'd say Andreas offered good
    >advice about doing it. And particularly if you're posting about
    >character coding problems.
    >
    >As we see, this shortcoming _was_ relevant to your description of the
    >problem, even if it wasn't relevant to the problem itself:

    >Communication failed.

    I see what you mean now ... Funny, though, Google shows the character
    correctly.

    It's time everyone moved to Unicode, I suppose!

    --
    Bob Hairgrove

    Bob Hairgrove, Jan 17, 2004
  6. On Sat, Jan 17, Bob Hairgrove inscribed on the eternal scroll:

    > >Communication failed.

    > I see what you mean now ...

    Thanks...

    > Funny, though, Google shows the character correctly.

    Since there was no character coding defined, there -is- no independent
    definition of correctness. I think you really meant "Google made the
    right guess at what you meant", but Andreas (or rather, his software
    ;-) is more fastidious, and refused to guess.

    > It's time everyone moved to Unicode, I suppose!

    With utf-8, you get a new form of excitement: if the octet-stream
    isn't valid utf-8, then it's forbidden to guess - the specification
    mandates the reporting of an error.

    cheers

    --
    Procrastination gives you something to look forward
    to putting off tomorrow. -spotted on ahbou

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 17, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    Bob Hairgrove <wouldnt_you_like@to_know.com> wrote:

    % Or does anyone have a URL handy to look up such things?

    There's an RFC that lists a large number of character sets. I don't know
    the number off-hand, but a copy is included with the source for recode.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Jan 18, 2004
  8. On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bob Hairgrove <wouldnt_you_like@to_know.com> wrote:
    >
    > % Or does anyone have a URL handy to look up such things?
    >
    > There's an RFC that lists a large number of character sets.

    Yes, but for practical purposes I would nowadays generally
    recommend the cross-mapping tables at the Unicode site.
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 18, 2004

    Do you mean <http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets> ?

    Andreas Prilop, Jan 22, 2004
  10. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
    >
    > > There's an RFC that lists a large number of character sets. I
    > > don't know the number off-hand, but a copy is included with the
    > > source for recode.

    > Do you mean <http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets> ?

    Could it have been a reference to RFC1345 ? - that's pretty
    historical now, but it is indeed cited in the recode
    documentation, so maybe that's the one that was meant.

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 22, 2004
  11. In article <Pine.GSO.4.44.0401221720300.704-100000@s5b004>,
    %
    % > There's an RFC that lists a large number of character sets. I don't know
    % > the number off-hand, but a copy is included with the source for recode.
    %
    % Do you mean <http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets> ?

    No, I meant the first reference, RFC 1345.

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Jan 22, 2004