Unknown Entities and Atom/Rss-Feeds: HowTo?

Discussion in 'XML' started by S.T, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. S.T

    S.T Guest

    Hi!

    I've spend this weekend trying and coding a php-based atom- and
    rss-feed writer. I don't know if this is the right place for my
    questions. However, since both feeds are based on xml, maybe someone
    can help.

    I understand that I have to replace all unknown entities, such as
    "ä". I wonder what's the common way to do so. For XML-Documents,
    I'd prefer to make use of an external DTD, say, referring to
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html#h-24.2 Having
    looked up some typical atom feed on the web, I realized that they DO
    NOT include external DTD, and still, they work fine with characters
    that are being declared as "unknown entities" in my documents. E.g.
    typical german entities in opera's atom feed:
    http://my.opera.com/sas1010/xml/atom/album/104384/ actually DO work,
    but mine don't :-(((((

    I wondered if I am to replace all entities by they corresponding codes
    ( Ä by Ä ) using my php-code, but this cannot be the
    appropiate way, can it?

    So what is your experience? Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    S.T.

    S.T, Dec 18, 2006