Unknown error when web site is published

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Timbo, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. Timbo

    Timbo Guest

    This is a really weird one and very odd.

    I have written a web site using VS2005 and .Net 2.0, all works very well
    when running it locally. However when I publish it to my web server (hosted
    by HELM), I get unknown errors when I connect to some of the aspx pages,
    however if I keep surfing around my web site the pages suddenly start
    working for no apparent reason. Once each page has been displayed at least
    once that particular page won't thow an error again, however on another
    machine I can have the same problem (although it appears not to be quite so
    bad).

    Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this behaviour. Web server not
    can use to slow down the loading of the pages - I'm grabbing at straws
    here!!

    I have put an friendly error page so at least the user doesn't see the ugly
    ..NET error

    Any help / pointers will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    Tim

    Timbo, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Are you using the web site project that comes with the pre-SP1 version fo VS
    2005? I'm asking because you mention jumping around seems to work after a
    page is called once. In the web site project, pages are compiled more on the
    fly than in VS 2003 web projects. That means they don't get pre-compiled.
    One of the biggest issues that comes about is when you're sharing classes
    from other directories. Those files don't usually get compiled in the order
    we would expect. A new project was introduced soon after the launch of VS
    2005 called the Web Application Project. This mimics the web project from
    previous versions of VS and enables you to pre-compile the entire site. I
    don't know which project type you're using, but it seems to fit this
    scenario.

    --

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Timbo

    Timbo Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Thank you for your reply, When looking as the version of VS2005 is says
    8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600).

    I took a look on the Microsoft download site and VS2005 SP1 also says
    version 50727.762 so I guess I already have it.

    Am I correct? If so any other ideas?

    Kind Regards

    Tim

    Timbo, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Tim,
    The next thing to check is the project type. Usually if you
    right-click the project and choose properties, you'll receive a dialog on
    the screen with a good number of vertically laid out tabs (mine has 9,
    beginning with Application and ending with Code analysis). The Web Site
    project is usually a shorter list and not setup as tabs if I remember
    correcltly. The big difference is the creation process. Even with SP1 you
    can still create the old web site project. To create the Web Site project
    you would use File | New | Web Site. If you used this method to create the
    project then that would mean it's this problematic web site project template
    that shipped with the initial launch of VS 2005. If you used the File | New
    | Project, and selected the ASP.Net Web Application project type then you're
    using the new version that compiles into one dll. One way to check is to see
    if you have a ton of strangely named dll files, usually made up of the page
    name plus a bunch of numeric text. If so then you're using the web site
    project and not the asp.net web application. I believe there is a conversion
    process to make it easier, but I don't remember since as soon as the add-on
    was available pre-sp1 I started from scratch with the new application
    project type.

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Feb 4, 2007