Unmanaged Code

Charles A. Lackman

Hello,

How do you write unmanaged code in vb.net? Currently, If I need to write an
installer or a small program that should not be managed by the .net
framework then I have have to use vb6.0. Is there a way to make small
programs that will run without the .net framework in VS.NET?

Is there a book on this (if it is possible)? If so it's name would be
greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Hi,

The only way to write unmanaged code with vs.net 2003 is to write a
win32 project in c++

Ken
-------------
Hello,

How do you write unmanaged code in vb.net? Currently, If I need to write an
installer or a small program that should not be managed by the .net
framework then I have have to use vb6.0. Is there a way to make small
programs that will run without the .net framework in VS.NET?

Is there a book on this (if it is possible)? If so it's name would be
greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Leon Mayne said:
All .NET code is managed. Therefore use VB6 or VC++ if you want to make
unmanaged code.

ACK, but notice that VB6 is /not/ a good choice for an installer because it
would require a bootstrapper written in another programming language to make
sure VB6's runtime files are installed/registered in the right version on
the machine.

jamie

OK,
If you write the program in VB6, write the installer with .NET - you need
what now...
It would leave the VB6 program behind with no dependency on .NET other than
for the installation?
Jamie

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

jamie said:
If you write the program in VB6, write the installer with .NET - you need
what now...
It would leave the VB6 program behind with no dependency on .NET other
than for the installation?

VB6 doesn't depend on .NET, but it depends on its own runtime libaries.