Unmanaged DLL fails when called from web service (permissions ?)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David Taylor, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    I'm having what I think are permissions or security-related issues when
    calling unmanaged code from a web service.

    I have a VB ActiveX control from which I've generated a .NET wrapper using:
    tlbimp.exe <VB OCX> /out:<NETWRAPPER DLL>

    I've then created a new "Hello world" C# project, added the netwrapper DLL,
    added it to the references folder and built everything. When I run/debug the
    web service and invoke the "hello world" method, I find that I always get a
    failure from the underlying OCX (the return code is a valid
    application-specific error).

    If I make a simple forms or console app, instantiate the object and call the
    method in exactly the same manneras I do in the web service then everything
    works fine with no error.

    I'm not sure where I should be looking (first development with .NET & web
    services) so any help is appreciated.
    David Taylor, Oct 11, 2004