unnecessary .htaccess?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Marty Fremen, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. Marty Fremen

    Marty Fremen Guest

    The virtual hosting I'm using came with a .htaccess file in each directory
    which refers to frontpage. Since I don't use Frontpage (I use ftp to upload
    files and cpanel to administer the site generally) I'm wondering if I can
    safely delete it, or whether this file might be needed for normal
    operational purposes or when I login to the site.

    The webserver is Apache 1.3.39.

    This is the .htaccess file in the public_html directory which is the root
    of the virtual domain (hostname etc changed):

    # -FrontPage-
    IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

    <Limit GET POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all
    </Limit>
    <Limit PUT DELETE>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    </Limit>
    AuthName example.org
    AuthUserFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
    AuthGroupFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

    Marty Fremen, Jun 16, 2008

  2. Marty Fremen

    JavaScriptNinjA

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Hey check out this little guide:
    http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

    I removed all .htaccess files that were redundant in subdirectories, however (depending on your host that is) you may not even be allowed to delete them. Also if you want to, use the trial and error method. (This works for most things needless to say, not all things.) Save one of the htaccess files and remove all the rest, see if anything explodes, if so replace them.

    JavaScriptNinjA, Jun 16, 2008

  3. Marty Fremen

    richard Guest

    On 16 Jun 2008 16:54:11 GMT, Marty Fremen <>
    wrote:

    >The virtual hosting I'm using came with a .htaccess file in each directory
    >which refers to frontpage. Since I don't use Frontpage (I use ftp to upload
    >files and cpanel to administer the site generally) I'm wondering if I can
    >safely delete it, or whether this file might be needed for normal
    >operational purposes or when I login to the site.
    >
    >The webserver is Apache 1.3.39.
    >
    >This is the .htaccess file in the public_html directory which is the root
    >of the virtual domain (hostname etc changed):
    >
    ># -FrontPage-
    >IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*
    >
    ><Limit GET POST>
    >order deny,allow
    >deny from all
    >allow from all
    ></Limit>
    ><Limit PUT DELETE>
    >order deny,allow
    >deny from all
    ></Limit>
    >AuthName example.org
    >AuthUserFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
    >AuthGroupFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

    Before you go messin around and screwin up things, ask your host.

    richard, Jun 16, 2008
  4. Marty Fremen

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Marty Fremen" <> wrote in message
    > The virtual hosting I'm using came with a .htaccess file in each directory
    > which refers to frontpage. Since I don't use Frontpage (I use ftp to
    > upload
    > files and cpanel to administer the site generally) I'm wondering if I can
    > safely delete it, or whether this file might be needed for normal
    > operational purposes or when I login to the site.

    Nothing in it that you need, delete it

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 16, 2008