unnecessary .htaccess?

Marty Fremen

The virtual hosting I'm using came with a .htaccess file in each directory
which refers to frontpage. Since I don't use Frontpage (I use ftp to upload
files and cpanel to administer the site generally) I'm wondering if I can
safely delete it, or whether this file might be needed for normal
operational purposes or when I login to the site.

The webserver is Apache 1.3.39.

This is the .htaccess file in the public_html directory which is the root
of the virtual domain (hostname etc changed):

# -FrontPage-
IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName example.org
AuthUserFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/h99exam/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hey check out this little guide:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

I removed all .htaccess files that were redundant in subdirectories, however (depending on your host that is) you may not even be allowed to delete them. Also if you want to, use the trial and error method. (This works for most things needless to say, not all things.) Save one of the htaccess files and remove all the rest, see if anything explodes, if so replace them.

richard

[...]

Before you go messin around and screwin up things, ask your host.

Nik Coughlin

Marty Fremen said:
The virtual hosting I'm using came with a .htaccess file in each directory
which refers to frontpage. Since I don't use Frontpage (I use ftp to
upload
files and cpanel to administer the site generally) I'm wondering if I can
safely delete it, or whether this file might be needed for normal
operational purposes or when I login to the site.

Nothing in it that you need, delete it