unordered elements in DTD example...bogus?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ha, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Ha

    Ha Guest

    I found an article (see link below) that states that xml elements can
    be order independent by removing the commas in the DTD.

    Ex: (notice no comma between NAME and EMAIL)
    <!ELEMENT CONTACT (NAME EMAIL)>
    <!ELEMENT NAME (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT EMAIL (#PCDATA)>

    In this case, we expect to see XML along the lines of:
    <CONTACT>
    <NAME>Jim Sanger</NAME>
    <EMAIL></EMAIL>
    </CONTACT>

    Alternatively, the following code would be valid:
    <CONTACT>
    <EMAIL></EMAIL>
    <NAME>Jim Sanger</NAME>
    </CONTACT>

    I have not found any other articles supporting this. All others state
    to use either attributes, or create permutations.

    Is this a bogus article?
    http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/Tutorials/Intro/order.html

    Ha, Jan 27, 2004

  2. arnold m. slotnik, Jan 28, 2004