Unreasonably slow performance when posting DIME attachments

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Sven Thorsen, May 26, 2005.

  1. Sven Thorsen

    Sven Thorsen Guest

    I have a Web Service with a method that handles file uploads.
    The file is sent as a DIME attachment to the SOAP request.
    The post is successful, the file is received and the correct response is
    sent back to the client.

    The problem is that this is UNBELIEVEABLY slow!

    My last tests were with a 4MB file.
    The tests took between 30 and 40 seconds total.
    The web service code finished its work in 750-790 milliseconds.
    When monitoring the network interface the full 4MB of data were received in
    1-2 seconds. The same is true when monitoring bytes received on the web
    service application.

    This would led me to the conclusion that a 4 MB post should take no more
    than 4 seconds to handle.

    Between the 1-2 seconds for the data to be received and the 790 millisecond
    code execution there is NO data received by the webservice and there is NO
    CPU use exept for what is normal when idle.

    My question is: why? And what can be done to deal with this?

    I have heard that this is an issue with newer versions of IIS caused by a
    built in delay when receiving large amounts of data in a single request, and
    that this is a non-configurable feature to limit the effects of attackers
    posting large amounts of data to "block" the server. Is there any truth to
    this?

    Thanks in advance for any help/hints/tips anyone has.

    Best regards
    Sven Thorsen

    Sven Thorsen, May 26, 2005