Unrecognized Tag prefix or device filter "asp"

Rick

I'm in the process of migrating a huge web project from VS 2003 to VS 2005.
In all my html pages I'm getting the following error: "Unrecognized tag
prefix or device filter "asp"".
Some of the articles I've read say this is do to an issue with Master pages,
but I'm not using master pages. I also read an article that said delete the
contents of C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas. But that didn't solve the
issue either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

I installed the Web Application Project Model, I thought that was the Same
as SP1. I'm currently downloading SP1 to make sure I have the same version,
it takes forever. Yes, I did load the 2003 project into VS 2005 and went
through the conversion process, the only thing I haven't done yet is the
Convert to Web application, I wanted to make sure everything was working
before doing that.

Peter Bromberg said:
2 questions:
1) do you have Service pack 1 installed? If no, please do so.
2) Are you loading the 2003 solution from Visual Studio 2005 and allowing
it
to perform the conversion automatically?
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
bogMetaFinder: http://www.blogmetafinder.com

Rick said:
I'm in the process of migrating a huge web project from VS 2003 to VS
2005.
In all my html pages I'm getting the following error: "Unrecognized tag
prefix or device filter "asp"".
Some of the articles I've read say this is do to an issue with Master
pages,
but I'm not using master pages. I also read an article that said delete
the
contents of C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas. But that didn't solve
the
issue either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I installed the Web Application Project Model, I thought that was the Same as SP1.

It's not.

re:
!> I'm currently downloading SP1 to make sure I have the same version, it takes forever.

Yes, it does take forever.

URGENT : uninstall WAP before you apply SP1 !

If you don't, SP1's version of WAP won't install correctly.

Rick said:
I'm in the process of migrating a huge web project from VS 2003 to VS 2005.
In all my html pages I'm getting the following error: "Unrecognized tag
prefix or device filter "asp"".
Some of the articles I've read say this is do to an issue with Master pages,
but I'm not using master pages. I also read an article that said delete the
contents of C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas. But that didn't solve the
issue either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Rick,

I'm not sure if you've read this article or not:

#Migrating a VS 2003 Web Project to VS 2005
http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx

This documents the detailed steps needed to migrate a VS2005 web project to
WAP. Please install VS2005 SP1 and try this migration guide.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Rick

Any Idea on how to unistall VS 2005 Web Applications Projects? It doesn't
show up in the Add/Remove programs, but if I Open VS 2005 and look at about
Visual Studio, it shows up in the list of installed products.

re:

Rick said:
I installed the Web Application Project Model, I thought that was the Same
as SP1. I'm currently downloading SP1 to make sure I have the same
version, it takes forever. Yes, I did load the 2003 project into VS 2005
and went through the conversion process, the only thing I haven't done yet
is the Convert to Web application, I wanted to make sure everything was
working before doing that.

:

I'm in the process of migrating a huge web project from VS 2003 to VS
2005.
In all my html pages I'm getting the following error: "Unrecognized tag
prefix or device filter "asp"".
Some of the articles I've read say this is do to an issue with Master
pages,
but I'm not using master pages. I also read an article that said delete
the
contents of C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas. But that didn't solve
the
issue either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Juan T. Llibre

Are you sure you *fully* enabled WAP ?

Did you install the file at :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-9554-4733-8725-3CA89DD9BFCA&displaylang=en

That had to be installed *previous* to installing WAP itself.

See :
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/Aa336618.aspx

re:
!> It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove programs, but if I Open VS 2005
!> and look at about Visual Studio, it shows up in the list of installed products.

That's odd...unless you didn't install WAP with the separate
install package which preceded it bring rolled into VS 2005 SP1.

If you are sure your install was made with that separate file, and not with SP1
( or the SP1 beta ), you could try to reinstall WAP ( and uninstall it afterwards ).

Reinstalling it should make it appear in the Add/Remove Programs list.

The original installation file is here :

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-49dca1aef87c/webapplicationprojectsetup.msi

Rick said:
Any Idea on how to unistall VS 2005 Web Applications Projects? It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove programs, but if I
Open VS 2005 and look at about Visual Studio, it shows up in the list of installed products.

re:

Rick said:
[...]

When you say *fully* enabled WAP, what do you mean by that? I installed it
not long after installing VS 2005. Then SP1 came out shortly after that, and
I installed that.

So anyway, I tried reinstalling the Web applications project. Still didn't
show up in the Add/Remove Programs. So, I uninstalled SP1 and the Microsoft
Web Application Projects 2005 Version 8.0.50727.762 didn't show up after
that in the Installed products list in VS2005. So I reinstalled SP1 and it
came back after reinstalling SP1. In the about window, it shows Microsoft
Visual Studio 2005 Version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600).

Rick said:
Any Idea on how to unistall VS 2005 Web Applications Projects? It doesn't
show up in the Add/Remove programs, but if I Open VS 2005 and look at
about Visual Studio, it shows up in the list of installed products.

re:

wrote in message
[...]

The first version of WAP wasn't fully installed by just installing it.
We had to install the "update to support web application projects" :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-9554-4733-8725-3CA89DD9BFCA&displaylang=en

That had to be installed *previous* to installing WAP itself.

re:
!> So I reinstalled SP1 and it came back after reinstalling SP1. In the about window,
!> it shows Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600).

You're good to go, now.

Rick said:
[...]

I'm writing to check the status of this post. Do you need further
information on this issue? Please feel free to let us know. Thanks.