Unrelated Question

rn5a

Probably this post doesn't belong to this group but since I couldn't
locate any group where I could post my question, I am doing it here.
Sorry for the same.

What are the criteria that should be taken into consideration while
buying a domain? Of course, that would also depend upon factors like
which database one would like to use as the backend, expected hits
etc. but I just want a general idea.

Also what is a domain? Suppose I buy a hosting package from a hosting
service provider & I am told that I can access my site using the URL
http://www.rn5a.com. Is rn5a the domain?

Moreover, all URLs don't begin with *www* after *http://". For e.g.
the URL of this newsgroup starts with *groups* instead of the
conventional *www* after *http://*. So from the technical point of
view, what's the difference between, say, http://www.google.com &
http://groups.google.com?

John Timney \(MVP\)

see inline......
--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

Probably this post doesn't belong to this group but since I couldn't
locate any group where I could post my question, I am doing it here.
Sorry for the same.

You are forgiven........go and donate 10 bucks to charity as a penance and
flog yourself every Monday fro a week!
What are the criteria that should be taken into consideration while
buying a domain? Of course, that would also depend upon factors like
which database one would like to use as the backend, expected hits
etc. but I just want a general idea.

Techncially, you dont buy a domain - you buy a domain name whih is notnong
more than an alias for an IP address. Hosting or the databases you use is
completely unrelated to the name you acquire.
Also what is a domain? Suppose I buy a hosting package from a hosting
service provider & I am told that I can access my site using the URL
http://www.rn5a.com. Is rn5a the domain?

For want of an easier explanation the domain is everything that resides
under the site www.rn5a.com. Read up on domain name at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name
Moreover, all URLs don't begin with *www* after *http://". For e.g.
the URL of this newsgroup starts with *groups* instead of the
conventional *www* after *http://*. So from the technical point of
view, what's the difference between, say, http://www.google.com &
http://groups.google.com?

Again, subdomains are discussed at wikipedia

You can buy a domain name from a company such as Network Solutions
www.netsol.com
You can then point that domain name to any server IP address you want.
If you don't have your own server then you may want to "rent" one from a
shared web host such as http://www.ServerIntellect.com/.
Some hosts also provide the service of selling domain names, although you
can do the two transactions separately from separate businesses if you
prefer.