Unterminated string constant - what causes it?

Tav

this seems to be a very generic error message, and the fact that i have
no way of locating what causes the error is frustrating.

anyway, i'll be general with my problem. i have a div on my page that
contains some information, and i made it like a window, as in it can be
maximized and closed by javascript functions in the page. the function
operates on only one argument, and that is whether the visitor is
maximizing or restoring the "window". when i maximize it, everything's
fine. when i restore it, however, that's when an error icon shows in
the corner.

after the error icon shows, everything on the site still functions
perfectly, and that's a relief. however, i still don't want that ugly
icon showing whenever someone visits. if anyone can tell me what
generally causes this error, i'd be grateful. i've checked through the
entire "restore" of my resizing script, and i see no inconsistencies or
errors in the scripting.

the script is very lengthy, but if you want an example anyway, feel
free to ask.

Randy Webb

Tav said the following on 1/8/2006 2:49 PM:
this seems to be a very generic error message, and the fact that i have
no way of locating what causes the error is frustrating.

What error message? DO not depend on the Subject of a post to be visible
to people reading it.
anyway, i'll be general with my problem. i have a div on my page that
contains some information, and i made it like a window, as in it can be
maximized and closed by javascript functions in the page. the function
operates on only one argument, and that is whether the visitor is
maximizing or restoring the "window". when i maximize it, everything's
fine. when i restore it, however, that's when an error icon shows in
the corner.

Double click it, it will give a line number and character number.

Or even better, test it in Firefox and check the JS Console.
after the error icon shows, everything on the site still functions
perfectly, and that's a relief. however, i still don't want that ugly
icon showing whenever someone visits. if anyone can tell me what
generally causes this error, i'd be grateful. i've checked through the
entire "restore" of my resizing script, and i see no inconsistencies or
errors in the scripting.

What is causing it is - an unterminated string constant (or, something
IE thinks is).
the script is very lengthy, but if you want an example anyway, feel
free to ask.

Post a URL to a sample page.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Tav said:
this seems to be a very generic error message, and the fact that i have
no way of locating what causes the error is frustrating.
[...]
after the error icon shows, everything on the site still functions
perfectly, and that's a relief. however, i still don't want that ugly
icon showing whenever someone visits. if anyone can tell me what
generally causes this error, i'd be grateful. [...]

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_43>

PointedEars