Unusual behaviour opening Word document

Csaba Gabor

If I do not have the indicated Word document open (on my Win XP Pro
machine with PHP 5.2), the following will open and display it:

<?php
$path = "c:\\path\\to\\word\\document\\mydoc.doc";
$doc = new COM($path);
$doc->Application->visible = true;
?>

However, there will be several identical warnings (14 in number)
associated with line 3 (the new COM line):

Warning: com::com(): Type library constant emptyenum is already defined
in C:\Morph\Demos\Dev\Word\test.php on line 3

Am I getting lucky that the doc is opened at all (and hence the
warnings are not bugs), or should this behaviour be reported? This
type of functionality works fine in vbscript:

Path = "c:\path\to\word\document\mydoc.doc"
Set doc = CreateObject(Path)
doc.Application.visible = true

Thanks,
Csaba Gabor from Vienna

PS. Note that if the doc is already opened, the above scripts will
fail.