Unusual environment from servlet hosting provider

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mark Voorberg, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Hi,
    I'm trying to deploy a JSP/Servlet application on my web hosting provider
    that provides private JVM Tomcat 4.1 support.

    The first problem is that their environment is setup very strange. The
    WEB-INF folder is at the root of my domain.
    e.g. www.MyDomain.com/WEB-INF/
    They've blocked direct access to the folder, but that isn't the issue.

    The second problem is that I can't run a servlet without including
    "/servlets/*" in the path.
    When running my app, the path should look like
    http://localhost/Timesheet/TimesheetServlet so there's a smooth transition
    between JSP & the servlet.

    While they have blocked access to the folder, I don't want to unzip the war
    file into my root folder.

    Am I missing something or is this environment fundamentally flawed?

    Thanks,
    Mark Voorberg
    www.objectclarity.com

    Mark Voorberg, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Hello Mark.

    "Mark Voorberg" <> wrote in message news:<uxG8b.2641$VS2.2142@pd7tw1no>...
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to deploy a JSP/Servlet application on my web hosting provider
    > that provides private JVM Tomcat 4.1 support.
    >
    > The first problem is that their environment is setup very strange. The
    > WEB-INF folder is at the root of my domain.
    > e.g. www.MyDomain.com/WEB-INF/
    > They've blocked direct access to the folder, but that isn't the issue.

    At first glance, it looks like you are probably sharing the Tomcat JVM
    instead of having a private JVM...or if there is a Tomcat directory in
    your account they may have a symbolic link from the webapps/ROOT
    directory to your home directory to make "easier" for you.

    > The second problem is that I can't run a servlet without including
    > "/servlets/*" in the path.
    > When running my app, the path should look like
    > http://localhost/Timesheet/TimesheetServlet so there's a smooth transition
    > between JSP & the servlet.

    This could happen if they are running Tomcat behind Apache or another
    web server. In this case, your ISP should be able to have it pass all
    requests on to Tomcat instead of just /servlet/* and /*.jsp and they
    you can map all of the servlets that you like in the web.xml file.

    Keith Bjorndahl, Sep 20, 2003