unusual scrolling table

richard

Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
it with a static header row on the top.

How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

Let's say I have a static column and only want to show one other
column beside it at a time.

....name:
address:
.......city:
.....state:
.......zip:

This would always show in the first column. Columns 2 through 100
would show corresponding data of different items.

I have tried googling but it's a nightmare trying to find an example
of what I want. Anyone have one?

dorayme

richard said:
Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
it with a static header row on the top.

How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

<head>
<title>A visual fixed col table</title>
table {border-collapse: collapse;}
td {border:1px solid; padding: .2em;}
div {margin-left: 4em; overflow: auto;}
</head>

richard

I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

That's one possibility I was thinking about.
But I figure if a <tr> can be static, why not a column?
If all it takes is an "ID" to fixate a row, then the column should
likewise be fixable.

My plan of attack for this project of mine is where I show name in the
first item, this may actually be a list box showing a multitude of
names to choose from, then fill the data in column 2 as selected.

Disco Octopus

That's one possibility I was thinking about.
But I figure if a <tr> can be static, why not a column?
If all it takes is an "ID" to fixate a row, then the column should
likewise be fixable.

My plan of attack for this project of mine is where I show name in the
first item, this may actually be a list box showing a multitude of
names to choose from, then fill the data in column 2 as selected.

Is this what you are looking for....

http://www.cubido.at/Portals/7/docs/Blog/Karin/HTML and Javascript/ResizeColumns/Table.htm

Pretty yuck IMHO, but looks like what you describe.