unusual scrolling table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Jul 6, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
    it with a static header row on the top.

    How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

    Let's say I have a static column and only want to show one other
    column beside it at a time.

    ....name:
    address:
    .......city:
    .....state:
    .......zip:

    This would always show in the first column. Columns 2 through 100
    would show corresponding data of different items.

    I have tried googling but it's a nightmare trying to find an example
    of what I want. Anyone have one?

    richard, Jul 6, 2009

  2. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
    > it with a static header row on the top.
    >
    > How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

    I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

    <head>
    <title>A visual fixed col table</title>
    table {border-collapse: collapse;}
    td {border:1px solid; padding: .2em;}
    div {margin-left: 4em; overflow: auto;}
    </head>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 6, 2009

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:22:46 +1000, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
    >> it with a static header row on the top.
    >>
    >> How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

    >I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

    That's one possibility I was thinking about.
    But I figure if a <tr> can be static, why not a column?
    If all it takes is an "ID" to fixate a row, then the column should
    likewise be fixable.

    My plan of attack for this project of mine is where I show name in the
    first item, this may actually be a list box showing a multitude of
    names to choose from, then fill the data in column 2 as selected.

    richard, Jul 6, 2009
  4. On Jul 6, 2:43 pm, richard <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:22:46 +1000, dorayme
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > > richard <> wrote:

    > >> Ok so like all the table designs I've seen that use scrolling all do
    > >> it with a static header row on the top.

    > >> How can I do this so that the first colum is static?

    > >I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

    > That's one possibility I was thinking about.
    > But I figure if a <tr> can be static, why not a column?
    > If all it takes is an "ID" to fixate a row, then the column should
    > likewise be fixable.
    >
    > My plan of attack for this project of mine is where I show name in the
    > first item, this may actually be a list box showing a multitude of
    > names to choose from, then fill the data in column 2 as selected.

    Is this what you are looking for....

    http://www.cubido.at/Portals/7/docs/Blog/Karin/HTML and Javascript/ResizeColumns/Table.htm

    Pretty yuck IMHO, but looks like what you describe.

    Disco Octopus, Jul 7, 2009
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 23:25:29 -0700 (PDT), Disco Octopus
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 6, 2:43 pm, richard <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:22:46 +1000, dorayme
    >>
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I don't know? Let me underwhelm you, just for the moment, with:

    >> That's one possibility I was thinking about.
    >> But I figure if a <tr> can be static, why not a column?
    >> If all it takes is an "ID" to fixate a row, then the column should
    >> likewise be fixable.
    >>
    >> My plan of attack for this project of mine is where I show name in the
    >> first item, this may actually be a list box showing a multitude of
    >> names to choose from, then fill the data in column 2 as selected.

    >Is this what you are looking for....
    >
    >http://www.cubido.at/Portals/7/docs/Blog/Karin/HTML and Javascript/ResizeColumns/Table.htm
    >
    >Pretty yuck IMHO, but looks like what you describe.

    That would work thanks.

    richard, Jul 7, 2009