Unwanted debug messages

rocketman768

Hi. I'm just trying to compile a program here, but when I run the
program, I get debug output like:

6192: symbol=printf; lookup in file=/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

when I'm trying to make calls to printf(). The program works fine, but
this extra junk that gets printed has to go. I checked my LD_DEBUG
environment variable, and it was not set, so I guess that's not the
problem, but now I'm stumped. Any ideas on what this is? BTW, this is
the new Kubuntu release.

Robert Gamble

Hi. I'm just trying to compile a program here, but when I run the
program, I get debug output like:

6192: symbol=printf; lookup in file=/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

when I'm trying to make calls to printf(). The program works fine, but
this extra junk that gets printed has to go. I checked my LD_DEBUG
environment variable, and it was not set, so I guess that's not the
problem, but now I'm stumped. Any ideas on what this is? BTW, this is
the new Kubuntu release.

It is very likely that you are doing something illegal in you code that
is invoking undefined behavior which is caught by your C library and is
triggering the debug messages but without seeing your code how am I
supposed to know? Reduce your code to the smallest *compilable*
program that exibits the behavior (and doesn't use non-Standard C
functions because those are off-topic here) and post it here.

Robert Gamble

Flash Gordon

Hi. I'm just trying to compile a program here, but when I run the
program, I get debug output like:

6192: symbol=printf; lookup in file=/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

when I'm trying to make calls to printf(). The program works fine, but
this extra junk that gets printed has to go. I checked my LD_DEBUG
environment variable, and it was not set, so I guess that's not the
problem, but now I'm stumped. Any ideas on what this is? BTW, this is
the new Kubuntu release.

This will be something specific to your environment rather than a C
language issue. Since we only deal with the C language, not all the
masses of implementations, I suggest you ask on a Linux or GNU mailing
list or group, or possibly a mailing list for your distribution.