up with PyGUI!

Alex Martelli

Ville Vainio said:
Terry> Also for political reasons. The US has reactionaries, left
Terry> and right, who reject the idea that all people have a right
Terry> to participate in the global information economy.

I don't think that's exclusively an US concern - all industrialized
countries have people who are concerned about outsourcing,
globalization and generally losing their jobs.

True, but (for example) the British minister for eCommerce drew standing
ovations at a conference in India last February by reaffirming quite
intensely that Britain will never again try protectionism or subsidies
to save fading industries at the cost of taxpayer money and stagnation.

Apparently, Britain has been there before, and while no doubt _some_
people won't agree, there seems to have evolved a national consensus in
favour of an open economy -- that minister is just as much of a
politician as, say, US ones, but clearly he evaluates that this stance
doesn't cost him votes overall.

Other nations don't seem to be as far along on the curve. The US, in
particular, seems to go for bipartisan verbal consensus against free
trace on every election year -- even administrations whose actual
policies were quite free-tradeish, such as Clinton's, seemed to feel a
need to appease protectionists with occasional bouts of rhetorics and
once in a while a highly visible trade row.

That's worrisome, because those who can't learn from history are doomed
to repeat it, and it sure seems, at times, that the US political
consensus hasn't learned, e.g. from the precedent of the Smoot-Hawley
tariffs, that beggar-thy-neighbor protectionism can be disastrous.

Alex

Jorge Godoy

You like it and use it when you write software yourself, yet you
expressed the desire that Qt didn't, so you could use it when you write
software that's not free. "Do unto others as you would have others do
unto you" seems a fundamental, reasonable principle of fairness: aren't
you violating it here, by using a license you wish others didn't use?

I don't see where, since all I said was that I wantd to *pay* less. I
want it free when I write free software (in both senses of free here,
either alone or combined). I already have saved a lot of money by using
free languages/compilers to write commercial software but if they costed
a fair amount, then I'd pay for it. I don't think that 3 months os a
worker's salary is fair for any software.

Here, market segmentation would be useful :) (/me runs!)

Be seeing you,

Jorge Godoy

Greg Ewing said:
In that case, seeing a screen shot wouldn't help you decide whether it
looked Mac-like. :)

No, but would help me seeing if it has a pleasurable look. :)

I would believe if it had screenshots and said it has native look and
after some public announces nobody contested it. :)
Yep, once again, Apple is way ahead of everyone else with their
integration of PDF imaging into the core graphics stuff. That's what
gives those images their nice anti- aliased look...

People said here we can get that with OpenOffice.org... I'll try it
later. The problem is not the result -- as I think we can get those
results with SodiPodi, Gimp and other tools in a chain or even
alone... -- but the effort to get that result.

Be seeing you,

Carlos Ribeiro

People said here we can get that with OpenOffice.org... I'll try it
later. The problem is not the result -- as I think we can get those
results with SodiPodi, Gimp and other tools in a chain or even
alone... -- but the effort to get that result.

As far as I know, no open source tool is close to the quality that
professional tools like Adobe Acrobat can give to you. Part of the
problem is economics -- it takes a lot of money to fine tune visual
output, it takes a lot of testing with different media, and a lot of
time to get it right. Another problem is that coders alone can't do
it; you need to have people highly specialized in design theory,
visual perception theory, etc. It's a highly skilled, very well paid
staff. And last, there are patents -- lots of -- in color handling and
anti-aliasing. Adobe holds a number of such patents, as do Apple and
Microsoft, as well as many other companies.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos

Carlos Ribeiro

< (snip)
In fact, we might already have tools to do everything Photoshop does.
The difference is that we try to keep it simple (KISS) and bundle
several specialized tools, while Photoshop tries to be a swiss army
knife, bundling everything together.

While true to a certain extent, this is not the problem. As I've
mentioned in another thread, this is a case where the closed source
application is simply superior in technical terms. It's not only
packaging -- it works better, more efficiently, and has better
algorithms specially when it comes to color mapping between devices,
and anything that involves perceptual color models and management.
I'm hearing more the FUD of "I want to use Linux but then I have to use
one thousand commands and programs to get the same results I get with
<proprietary program> on <proprietary OS>".

With all respect, this is not FUD. It's based on fact. In *many* cases
the OS app is not conveniently packaged. Part of this is that most
people that use OS apps are used to (and even like) having to glue
everything together.

No we're going completely offtopic, but anyway, why not? :) I think
everyone can relate with a joke about cars and people that work with
cars. Often we see people that work everyday with cars -- specially
mechanics -- driving cars that, from any reasonably perspective, are a
complete mess. Doors hanging semi-opened are not unheard of :). But
the car works, and his owner actually likes that mess. I think we can
see some of this in OS apps. Those who know how they are implemented
derive a certain pleasure from the fact that they can look at the
inside whenever they can, mess up with settings, and stuff like that.
Those who want a car -- or an OS, or an application -- only for actual
use doesn't like this, and prefer something nicely packaged, that
hides all details, and simply works, and don't embarass them in front
of friends and family :).

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: (e-mail address removed)
mail: (e-mail address removed)

Jorge Godoy

Carlos Ribeiro said:
While true to a certain extent, this is not the problem. As I've
mentioned in another thread, this is a case where the closed source
application is simply superior in technical terms. It's not only
packaging -- it works better, more efficiently, and has better
algorithms specially when it comes to color mapping between devices,
and anything that involves perceptual color models and management.

Patents are a problem. All the rest is not. There are several good
designers and programmers on free software and that support the idea.
With all respect, this is not FUD. It's based on fact. In *many* cases
the OS app is not conveniently packaged. Part of this is that most
people that use OS apps are used to (and even like) having to glue
everything together.

In many cases yes, in many other no. The problem -- and the reason why
I called this FUD -- is the generalization.
No we're going completely offtopic, but anyway, why not? :) I think
everyone can relate with a joke about cars and people that work with
cars. Often we see people that work everyday with cars -- specially
mechanics -- driving cars that, from any reasonably perspective, are a
complete mess. Doors hanging semi-opened are not unheard of :). But
the car works, and his owner actually likes that mess. I think we can
see some of this in OS apps. Those who know how they are implemented
derive a certain pleasure from the fact that they can look at the
inside whenever they can, mess up with settings, and stuff like that.
Those who want a car -- or an OS, or an application -- only for actual
use doesn't like this, and prefer something nicely packaged, that
hides all details, and simply works, and don't embarass them in front
of friends and family :).

There are several apps whose only purpose is to provide a nice GUI to
glue those tools together. If your OS (or Linux distribution) provides
a nice package management system, then you also don't have to worry with
dependencies.

I don't think of free software as a mess in its code. There are very
nice examples of very well written software. On the other hand, I've
seen commercial software with closed source code that is worse than
spaghetti code, and since it is closed, nobody sees it :) Also, I've
read terrible workarounds by developers of closed source code in mailing
lists.

Your program will not be different just because it is free software/open
source. It will be different if you are organized or not. Open source
software, IMNSHO, makes people write better code because this is how
they will present themselves to the world. If they can hide their mess,
they won't be too worried with it.

And, thanks God, there's no "one size fits all" solution. People like
us will be hired to fix code, to fix problems and to glue things
together. :)

JanC

Jorge Godoy schreef:
I've been told that too. Maybe because I'm not into the graphics area I
think it works pretty well :)

Just try to make a CMYK separation or use Pantone colors in The GIMP and
you'll know what they are talking about... ;-)

JanC

Alex Martelli schreef:
The quarrel 'du jour' against Apple,
to give another example, is about the fact that iTunes song downloads
cost 20% more in the UK than Germany or France, and the latter two
countries won't even let you buy unless you can give a French/German
address and credit card (in Italy you can't buy from any of these
stores... unless you're lucky enough to have an address and credit card
in the appropriate country...). This is arguably against Europe's
single-market laws, and since we're talking about downloads over the net
the "logistics" argument is laid bare for the feeble excuse it is.
Indeed Apple's response that I've seen is not about trying to argue that
it costs more to push bits to London than to Paris, but rather that
iTunes song prices should be compared, not with the prices of the same
song in different countries, but rather with the prices of other songs
from competitors in the same country. In other words, Apple is charging
all the market will bear, segmenting markets ruthlessly to do so, even
when they have to break laws in order to scrounge extra profits that
way. I think it's quite a myopic attitude, eroding any goodwill from
people who LIKE their products and turning it into rage and loathing.

This is probably not only Apple's fault. Most local music distribution
rights are owned by different, local companies that don't want to lose
their possible income/power, so online music stores like Apple often have
to make separate agreements per country...

Jorge Godoy

JanC said:
Jorge Godoy schreef:

Just try to make a CMYK separation or use Pantone colors in The GIMP and
you'll know what they are talking about... ;-)

To be honest, I have no idea what are these things for. I just know
that there's something with regards to CMYK here, but I haven't seen
Pantone. (OK, I know that these are color representation "tables", but
I don't know when to use one or the other or when to use RGB... An
architect friend of mine explained that but she was talking about other
things too and I didn't pay much attention to that...)

Carlos Ribeiro

To be honest, I have no idea what are these things for. I just know
that there's something with regards to CMYK here, but I haven't seen
Pantone. (OK, I know that these are color representation "tables", but
I don't know when to use one or the other or when to use RGB... An
architect friend of mine explained that but she was talking about other
things too and I didn't pay much attention to that...)

Pantone is a table of standard spot colors. It's used in professional
printing because they can guarantee you that the color that you'll see
in the final print is *exactly* the same that you see in your own
printed color reference card. Try that in the GIMP, or in any other OS
design package. In general, conversion between different color models
is *tricky*, and you would be surprised at how precise our eyes are
with regards to small differences.

(I just read about Scribus, though, and about the color management
system that they're using there - littlecms - this is now being
integrated into GIMP. Don't know the results, but it's the right
step).

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: (e-mail address removed)
mail: (e-mail address removed)

Jorge Godoy

Carlos Ribeiro said:
Pantone is a table of standard spot colors. It's used in professional
printing because they can guarantee you that the color that you'll see
in the final print is *exactly* the same that you see in your own
printed color reference card. Try that in the GIMP, or in any other OS
design package. In general, conversion between different color models
is *tricky*, and you would be surprised at how precise our eyes are
with regards to small differences.

Interesting. And what kind of printer has Pantone support built in? I
suppose that for such an accuracy you'd have to have a printer that
supports it, otherwise you might miss something while converting to/from
CMYK or RGB.
(I just read about Scribus, though, and about the color management
system that they're using there - littlecms - this is now being
integrated into GIMP. Don't know the results, but it's the right
step).

Scribus is a very nice application, and is evolving very fast.

Carlos Ribeiro

[on Pantone spot colors]
Interesting. And what kind of printer has Pantone support built in? I
suppose that for such an accuracy you'd have to have a printer that
supports it, otherwise you might miss something while converting to/from
CMYK or RGB.

Besides Alex's pointers, professional printing shops also have Pantone
inks available. Instead of printing a CMYK separation, you can print a
few plates using Pantone spots. It's not generally used for magazines,
where four-color separations (or even six-color, for Hexachrome) are
the best choice -- mainly because you can never tell which colors are
you going to need to print full-color photographs and stuff. But it's
widely used for things such as texture printing, for textiles and
wallpaper; special editions of books with few colors (for example,
using only black & sienna for a elegant old look style; and also for
things such as logos and outdoors signaling, where color matching is
*must*, and the number of different colors in a single print is small
-- less than four colors, in most cases.

p.s. A *very small* difference is a big problem, for example, if
you're aligning textures printed with different equipment with poor
color matching in one or both of them. Even the untrained eye can spot
it easily.

p.s. It's common for companies to name the Pantone color that is to be
used when printing the logo. It's way easier, and more precise, than
checking the color card visually.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: (e-mail address removed)
mail: (e-mail address removed)

Carlos Ribeiro

<snip> ... $15k a year might
be decent wages for a Ukrainian developer (I'm not certain), but in the
US you'd have to choose between food and shelter at that point.

For a Brazilian developer, that's roughly translated in R$ 3.000,00
(three thousand "reais"), which is a very good salary -- not a "great"
salary in São Paulo, but well above average -- and well into the
lower-to-middle management income wage in other cities.

p.s. For most comparison purposes, you can double or triple the salary
in Brazil. Some people use worldwide available commodities such as
Coke or Big Macs as a comparison tool in this regard, and this figure
will give you a good approximation (one can of Coke costs about 40
cents of a dollar here, a big mac costs around US$ 1.60, just check
the results).
--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: (e-mail address removed)
mail: (e-mail address removed)

Alex Martelli

Carlos Ribeiro said:
p.s. For most comparison purposes, you can double or triple the salary
in Brazil. Some people use worldwide available commodities such as
Coke or Big Macs as a comparison tool in this regard, and this figure
will give you a good approximation (one can of Coke costs about 40
cents of a dollar here, a big mac costs around US$ 1.60, just check
the results).

The use of a Big Mac as the "basket" for purchasing-power-parity
calculations was started many years ago as a joke by the funny people at
the Economist magazine (the guys who once brought the world "Parkinson's
Laws", etc!) -- and it turned out to be actually somewhat useful!-)

Cfr: <http://www.economist.com/markets/Bigmac/Index.cfm>

Alex

Terry Reedy

I intentionally restricted myself to one sentence, with one opinion word --
'reactionaries', on a topic people have written books about. However ...
The main problem a lot of people (myself included) have with the so-
called "global economy"

To me, the global information economy is as real as the global Python
community.
is that it mostly benefits the US employer who
can pay wages that are far below cost of living inside the US.

To the extent that all US employers producing similar products have equal
access to such cost savings, the long-term competitive benefit should tend
toward zero and most benefit should go to consumers and non-US workers. It
was Indian software entrepreneurs who pursued US businesspeople more than
the reverse.
I'm certain there are few people who begrudge others getting work,

I did not try to quantify in my original statement. However, it takes more
than a few people to get myriads of job protection laws passed in countries
around the globe. Dislike of competition for 'my job' is pretty universal.

[snip]
let's ...have laws that require employers to pay prevailing wage

The prototype 'prevailing wage' law in the US, the 1930s Davis-Bacon Act,
was passed and signed by begruding people. It had the explicit purpose
(and effect) of excluding dark-skinned Americans from participating in the
American construction industry, especially in northern states, by making it
unprofitable to hire them. Its negative effects continue today.
(based on the *employer's* country of origin).

Programmers in developing countries generally are employed by local
employers who pay them more than the previous local prevailing wage. In
terms of real economic goods -- food, clothing, housing, internet service,
and so on -- their pay may be comparable to that of programmers in the
'industrial' nations.

Their apparent cheapness per comparable output is largely a function of
exchange rates at least partly distorted by centuries of government force.
I expect such distortions will lessen as communication makes them less
tenable. I also expect increasing numbers of US knowledge/information
workers with portable skills to take advantage of the distortions while
they last.

Terry J. Reedy

Dennis Lee Bieber

(I just read about Scribus, though, and about the color management
system that they're using there - littlecms - this is now being
integrated into GIMP. Don't know the results, but it's the right
step).

You'd still have to calibrate the monitor gamma and individual
phosphor characteristics before you could rely on the display being
close to any specified color...

Dennis Lee Bieber

Interesting. And what kind of printer has Pantone support built in? I
suppose that for such an accuracy you'd have to have a printer that
supports it, otherwise you might miss something while converting to/from
CMYK or RGB.
Pantone typically gets used with "separations", one printing
plate needed for each specified pantone color. The RGB/CMYK would only
be used for on-screen (or inkjet) proofing -- the final print would have
plates for each of C, M, Y, K and the various Pantone's called out; each
plate is just B/W (or ink/clear)

Alex Martelli

Terry Reedy said:

Didn't get this one, so I'm answering both here...
To me, the global information economy is as real as the global Python
community.

Indeed, they strongly intersect. I couldn't afford to go from Italy to
OSCON if I didn't get half of my expenses covered by a Swedish client,
and I took advantage of the trip to consult for a US client, interact
with US publishers who sell my books all over the world, make friends
with a Briton who works for a US multinational (currently enmeshed in a
bitter fight with a British music company whose name they stole;-) who
also make the laptop I use, and the music player my son just bought to
listen to his favourite groups from all over the world... oh, and on my
way to OSCON I married a US citizen in Minneapolis -- we had half our
honeymoon at OSCON, the second half in the Italian Alps. We had
announced our forthcoming marriage at Europython, in Sweden, right after
a keynote speech by a South African who showed many photos from his
space trip, which he had taken on a Russian spacecraft...

To the extent that all US employers producing similar products have equal
access to such cost savings, the long-term competitive benefit should tend
toward zero and most benefit should go to consumers and non-US workers. It
was Indian software entrepreneurs who pursued US businesspeople more than
the reverse.

Any voluntary economic transaction benefits both parties to it (in their
own opinion), otherwise they wouldn't take part in it. Of course their
opinions may be mistaken, but there's no reason to believe that somebody
else knows better than they do, thus, no case for coercion, in general.

I did not try to quantify in my original statement. However, it takes more
than a few people to get myriads of job protection laws passed in countries
around the globe. Dislike of competition for 'my job' is pretty universal.

Yep, pretty much. Or "my customers" and "my suppliers", for that
matter; deep down, any maker of (say) cloth would love all the wool
producers to be forced to sell to him, all the clothing makers to be
forced to buy the cloth from him. Though in the long run we'd all be
better off with freedom for all, the temptation to lobby for an even
better deal for myself -- freedom for all _except_ those who buy from
me, sell to me, employ me, are employed by me, ..., all of whom should
obviously be constrained to do what _I_ want, not what _they_ like -- is
always present.
[snip]
let's ...have laws that require employers to pay prevailing wage

The prototype 'prevailing wage' law in the US, the 1930s Davis-Bacon Act,
was passed and signed by begruding people. It had the explicit purpose
(and effect) of excluding dark-skinned Americans from participating in the
American construction industry, especially in northern states, by making it
unprofitable to hire them. Its negative effects continue today.

Very good point.

Heh heh, how funny. Yeah, let's hamstring IBM, Texas Instruments,
think3, Motorola, and all other companies of US or Europe origin, by
forbidding them to employ Indian programmers, salespeople, etc, etc,
directly, at normal Indian rates of pay; let's force them all to pay
_Wipro_ (or whoever) instead -- Wipro is of Indian origin, so it would
be allowed to pay normal Indian rates, and then it could add, say, 20%
profit on top, and resell the software or services those employees
produce to IBM, TI, think3, and so forth. Why allow IBM to sensibly
keep Indian offices, just because it's had them for fifty years, after
all? Just because (say) an IBM salesman in India has a cost of living
that's 1/3rd as much as his counterpart in the Bay Area (if that), it's
surely no reason to allow IBM to employ that salesman directly to sell
IBM products in India, is it? Let's force IBM to pay Wipro, or whoever,
to hire that guy at normal Indian wages, instead, to sell IBM's products
on behalf of IBM. Now _that_ will surely fix everything. Let's
subsidize Wipro at IBM's, TI's, etc, expense, yeah, that's the ticket.

It will be hard on the US retirees who directly or indirectly own most
IBM or TI stock, of course, since IBM's expenses will go up and profits
down, right out of the pockets of mostly-US, mostly-small stockholders,
and into the pockets of Wipro stockholders, mostly substantial Indian
entrepreneurs and capitalists (darn few pension funds or small
individual stockholders those parts). But hey, I'm sure Azim Premji and
the rest need the money much more than John Smith needs his TI dividends
to help pay for his retirement...

Programmers in developing countries generally are employed by local
employers who pay them more than the previous local prevailing wage. In

Most programmers in developing countries are indeed employed by local
employers, but far from all: large-enough American and European
companies often prefer to open their own branch offices, and hire
locals, rather than operating indirectly through Wipro and the like,
which would basically mean letting Wipro, etc, just cream off a
middleman's fee. The wages paid by Wipro and friends, or by IBM,
think3, TI, Motorola, etc etc, are of course very comparable: it's a
highly competitive labor market with a lot of mobility, nobody would get
away with paying less than other employers, not if they have any hope of
keeping their best people, at least.

The market for salespeople is somewhat similar. Large companies who are
trying to sell directly to the local markets often prefer to hire their
own salespeople directly, for all sorts of reasons, rather than
outsourcing all of their sales efforts to local firms. But of course if
they had to pay local salespeople three times as much as local firms are
paying the same salespeople, they'd demur -- they would pay the
commissions / middleman fees / etc to the local firms, as well as
resigning themselves to selling less (a typical local firm reselling,
say, HP printers, is likely to also offer other cheaper competing
brands; so, if HP wants to make sure they sell printers, they would
really like an HP-owned branch office... but couldn't afford one if the
same salespeople cost three times as much when employed directly by HP,
as when employed by a local firm selling the same HP products...!-).
terms of real economic goods -- food, clothing, housing, internet service,
and so on -- their pay may be comparable to that of programmers in the
'industrial' nations.

It's hard to compare, because the basket of real economics goods and
services consumed tends to be SO different, depending on local mores and
local economic realities. I haven't been in close touch with Indian
realities for a while, but my first wife had her major in Hindi, often
traveled there, had local friends and university colleagues who had set
up import-export arrangements with India, etc, etc. At that time, the
concept that a fledging professional (me at the time) would own a car
AND a motorbike, TWO TV sets, two cameras, etc, etc, appeared to feel
almost incredible to her Indian friends. On the other hand, the idea
that said professional had to waste his precious time cooking, cleaning
house, tending the garden, etc, rather than just hiring two or three
domestic labourers for these purposes, was just as incredible to them
(well, my grandmother never really accepted the world could change so
deep and so fast -- in _her_ youth, even in Italy, a car was a silly
rich man's luxury, but _of course_ a middle-class family would have at
least a couple of people working for them as domestic help!).

Basically, easily transportable/tradable goods and services tend to have
more similar prices across different economies -- not considering
absurdly high and punitive tariffs that distort things (generally
raising the prices of clothing here, of cameras in India, etc), a shirt
or a camera should cost the same here and there. Goods and most
particularly services that _aren't_ easily transportable and tradable
are quite a different story; my barber charges me ten times as much as a
Mumbai barber would, taking advantage of the cost and inconvenience it
would be for me to have my head sent to Mumbai for hairstyling...:).

Their apparent cheapness per comparable output is largely a function of
exchange rates at least partly distorted by centuries of government force.

I don't think exchange rates are that badly out of whack, nor that the
legacy of centuries has much importance determining the rates of today.
Itay has been united as a single country for over 140 years now, so
exchange rates don't enter into it; yet the cost of living in some
small, half-forgotten southern village versus, say, downtown Milano, is
_quite_ skewed anyway. That IS quite a problem for jobs which pay the
same in both places: a school teacher is still quite well to do in the
little southern village, he's a pauper in downtown Milano.

So why doesn't all of Italy's industry and software production RUSH
southwards...? Hey, there's even plenty of government subsidies
available to lure firms there. And yet it doesn't happen, because firms
still mostly judge that the higher productivity of the North (better
infrastructure, rule of law working better, easier contact with
suppliers and customers, more potential employees milling around, ...)
trumps the cheapness and the subsidies of the deep South.
I expect such distortions will lessen as communication makes them less
tenable. I also expect increasing numbers of US knowledge/information
workers with portable skills to take advantage of the distortions while
they last.

To some extent, maybe. 140+ years of Italian unity -- no legal barrier
whatsoever to living or setting up a firm wherever you prefer, no
exchange rate to worry about, etc, etc -- haven't really done much to
lessen economic differences between North and South here, nor has there
been any rush whatsoever of professionals southwards, on the contrary,
the net movement has most definitely been northwards. And aren't things
developing similarly in, say, Spain, or Germany (East vs West)...?

The US _has_ seen substantial economic growth in the "sun belt", true,
but I think it's a reasonably recent phenomenon, isn't it? For over 100
years, say from your Civil War to the 1960's, wasn't, e.g., Alabama, WAY
poorer than, e.g., Massachussets -- way lower wages, cost of living,
etc... -- and yet, no rush of industry or professionals along that
gradient....? (Come to think of it, I don't think the difference has
been even nearly wiped out yet -- for some parts of the South, yes, but,
what about Alabama for example...?).

Personally, I think there will be _some_ modest reduction of
differences, and movements back and forth, if legal barriers can be
lowered a bit (I don't consider that lowering a certainty), but, judging
from these historical examples, I don't think it will reduce diffences
by ALL that much...

Alex