Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made up of Custom COlumns

Terry Holland

I recieved some very useful help from Steven Cheng in an earlier post in
this group entitled 'Dynamically create datagrid columns' and am now
looking for some help to progress things.

With the help I was given I was able to create a web user control that
dynamically created a datagrid that was made up a number of custom datagrid
columns. I am able to bind a custom collection to this datagrid and I am
able to view my data.
Some of the custom columns are editable columns containing a control such as
Textbox, DropDown List, Checkbox etc.
What I would like to do is, on the click of a button, set the value in my
custom object (the object that my custom collection is a collection of) to
be equal to the corresponding value in the datagrid column. ie
I have a class called clsStock and a collection of clsStock objects called
clsStock_COL. In my clsStock class I have the following properties
ID
DESCRIPTION
COSTPRICE
SALEPRICE
WHR
SUPPLIER

I wish to display the following properties in my control

ID displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column0)
DESCRIPTION displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column1)
COSTPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column2)
SALEPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
WHR displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)

When the user clicks update button I want to update my object of type
clsStock so that
SALEPRICE = value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
WHR =value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)

In another application of this control it may be the case that clsOrder &
clsOrder_COL are the classes that bind to my datagrid and when I click
update, the value in column3 may update the QUANTITY property of my
clsOrder class and column7 may update property DISCOUNT of my clsOrder
class.

So I am looking for an example of a generic way of updating my custom
collections from my (datagrid) control.

tia

Terry Holland

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello again Terry,

First, glad that you've been working well with the custom columns :). As
for the generic way for updating custom collections from the datalist, I
think we still need to manually loop through all the DataGridItems in
datagrid and then find the certain control instance of each column and
query the certain property(Text ...) from the control. Also, as mentioned
in my former custom column example, we can specify a "TextBoxID" or more
commonly a "ControlID" property for our custom column so as to easily find
the control in template through DataGridItem's FindControl method. In
additino, we can event encapsulate the dataretrieving method in the Custtom
Column class, for example, for our CustomColumn class, we can provide a
method like below:

public class CustomTextBoxColumn
{
public string txtID;

public string GetColumnValue(DataGridItem item)
{
TextBox txt = item.FindControl(txtID);
return txt.Text;

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made up of
Custom COlumns
| Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:01:47 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
|
| I recieved some very useful help from Steven Cheng in an earlier post in
| this group entitled 'Dynamically create datagrid columns' and am now
| looking for some help to progress things.
|
| With the help I was given I was able to create a web user control that
| dynamically created a datagrid that was made up a number of custom
datagrid
| columns. I am able to bind a custom collection to this datagrid and I am
| able to view my data.
| Some of the custom columns are editable columns containing a control such
as
| Textbox, DropDown List, Checkbox etc.
| What I would like to do is, on the click of a button, set the value in my
| custom object (the object that my custom collection is a collection of)
| be equal to the corresponding value in the datagrid column. ie
| I have a class called clsStock and a collection of clsStock objects
called
| clsStock_COL. In my clsStock class I have the following properties
| ID
| DESCRIPTION
| COSTPRICE
| SALEPRICE
| WHR
| SUPPLIER
|
| I wish to display the following properties in my control
|
| ID displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column0)
| DESCRIPTION displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column1)
| COSTPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column2)
| SALEPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
| WHR displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)
|
| When the user clicks update button I want to update my object of type
| clsStock so that
| SALEPRICE = value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
| WHR =value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)
|
| In another application of this control it may be the case that clsOrder &
| clsOrder_COL are the classes that bind to my datagrid and when I click
| update, the value in column3 may update the QUANTITY property of my
| clsOrder class and column7 may update property DISCOUNT of my clsOrder
| class.
|
| So I am looking for an example of a generic way of updating my custom
| collections from my (datagrid) control.
|
| tia
|
| Terry Holland

Terry Holland

Would I then need to look into reflection to find the property in my custom
class that I need to update (via the custom column DataField property)?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

As for accessing properties in custom object. Yes, you can use .net 's
reflection api to dynamically access property through a string
value(contains the property's name), and we can provide a certain property
or field in custom column to hold such a string value. But IMO, I don't
suggest this since reflection will have performance hurt on our
application. So if possible, you'd better create some hardcoded funcdtions
in page which do the update operations(retrieve value from datagriditem and
update the specific properteis in custom object.

> [...]

| > | dynamically created a datagrid that was made up a number of custom
| > datagrid
| > | columns. I am able to bind a custom collection to this datagrid and I
| am
| > | able to view my data.
| > | Some of the custom columns are editable columns containing a control
| such
| > as
| > | Textbox, DropDown List, Checkbox etc.
| > | What I would like to do is, on the click of a button, set the value in
| my
| > | custom object (the object that my custom collection is a collection
of)
| > | be equal to the corresponding value in the datagrid column. ie
| > | I have a class called clsStock and a collection of clsStock objects
| > called
| > | clsStock_COL. In my clsStock class I have the following properties
| > |
| > | I wish to display the following properties in my control
| > |
| > | ID displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column0)
| > | DESCRIPTION displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column1)
| > | COSTPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_Label (column2)
| > | SALEPRICE displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
| > | WHR displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)
| > |
| > | When the user clicks update button I want to update my object of type
| > | clsStock so that
| > | SALEPRICE = value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column3)
| > | WHR =value displayed in CUSTOMCOLUMN_TextBox (column4)
| > |
| > | In another application of this control it may be the case that
clsOrder
| &
| > | clsOrder_COL are the classes that bind to my datagrid and when I click
| > | update, the value in column3 may update the QUANTITY property of my
| > | clsOrder class and column7 may update property DISCOUNT of my clsOrder
| > | class.
| > |
| > | So I am looking for an example of a generic way of updating my custom
| > | collections from my (datagrid) control.
| > |
| > | tia
| > |
| > | Terry Holland
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Terry Holland

OK thanks

One other point. How would you suggest that I accomplish this requirement
(though I my not bother if it involves many postbacks)?
One of the properties of my custom columns is NumberFormat. If this is set
to Currency, the data that is displayed will be format in local currency.
If however the user modifies a currency value, could I get the column to
format number as user leaves cell ie as it would happen in Excel?

Terry Holland

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

You can set the TextBox as AutoPostBack and use serverside codebehind code
to format the user's inputs, however as you also mentioned, this will
involve too much postback. So I would prefer to using clientside script to
do the formatting as much as possible though it'll be abit more complex
than serverside code.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made up
of Custom COlumns
| Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:05:12 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
|
| OK thanks
|
| One other point. How would you suggest that I accomplish this requirement
| (though I my not bother if it involves many postbacks)?
| One of the properties of my custom columns is NumberFormat. If this is
set
| to Currency, the data that is displayed will be format in local currency.
| If however the user modifies a currency value, could I get the column to
| format number as user leaves cell ie as it would happen in Excel?
|
| Terry Holland
|

| | > Hi Terry,
| >
| > As for accessing properties in custom object. Yes, you can use .net 's
| > reflection api to dynamically access property through a string
| > value(contains the property's name), and we can provide a certain
property
| > or field in custom column to hold such a string value. But IMO, I don't
| > suggest this since reflection will have performance hurt on our
| > application. So if possible, you'd better create some hardcoded
funcdtions
| > in page which do the update operations(retrieve value from datagriditem
| and
| > update the specific properteis in custom object.
| >
| > thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made
up
| > of Custom COlumns
| > | Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:18:03 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > |
| > | Would I then need to look into reflection to find the property in my
| > custom
| > | class that I need to update (via the custom column DataField
property)?
| > |

| > As
| > mentioned
| > more
| > find
| In
| > | Custtom

| of
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > |
| post
| > in
| now
| > | > |
| that
| > | am
| > | such
| in
| > | my
| > of)
| > | > |
| > | > |
| type
| > | > |
| > clsOrder
| > | &
| click
| clsOrder
| > | > |
| custom
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Terry Holland

I am totally unfamiliar with client-side coding. Could you give me an
example of how to format one of my custom columns as 2 decimal places

tia

Terry Holland

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

AS for numberic formatting script, I'm also not very experienced on this.
However, I've used to get some similiar resources on the web, here are some
good articles:

http://www.mredkj.com/javascript/numberFormat.html

You can leverage your own one from those ones.
Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made up
of Custom COlumns
| Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:23:31 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
|
| I am totally unfamiliar with client-side coding. Could you give me an
| example of how to format one of my custom columns as 2 decimal places
|
| tia
|
| Terry Holland
|

| | > Hi Terry,
| >
| > You can set the TextBox as AutoPostBack and use serverside codebehind
code
| > to format the user's inputs, however as you also mentioned, this will
| > involve too much postback. So I would prefer to using clientside script
| > do the formatting as much as possible though it'll be abit more complex
| > than serverside code.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made
up
| > of Custom COlumns
| > | Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:05:12 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > |
| > | OK thanks
| > |
| > | One other point. How would you suggest that I accomplish this
| requirement
| > | (though I my not bother if it involves many postbacks)?
| > | One of the properties of my custom columns is NumberFormat. If this
is
| > set
| > | to Currency, the data that is displayed will be format in local
| currency.
| > | If however the user modifies a currency value, could I get the column
| > | format number as user leaves cell ie as it would happen in Excel?
| > |
| > | Terry Holland
| > |
| > |

| > property
| don't
| > funcdtions
| datagriditem
| > | and

| > up
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > |
| > property)?
| > | > |
message

| > :).
| > datalist,
DataGridItems
| > in
| > and
| or
| > easily
| method.
| > | In
| the
| > provide

| > no

| > up
| > | of
| > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > | > |
| > | post
| am
| > | now
| > | > | > |
| control
| > | that
| custom
| > and
| > control
| > value
| > | in
| > collection
| > objects
| > properties
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | type
| > | > | > |
| > | click
| of
| > my
| > | clsOrder
| > | > | > |
| > | custom
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Terry Holland

I think I will be able to get my head around the Javascript but Im not sure
where to start in tying it all together. How would I link my custom column
to the Javascript? Where would I write the Javascript?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

I've added some additional code to the custom column example I've sent you
previously. I add some simple clientscript in the CustomTextBoxColumn's
render code so as to let the clientscript check the textbox's value when
user changed and left the textbox at clientside. You can start customizing
it with your own script. I've attached the files in this message.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made up
of Custom COlumns
| Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:01:39 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
|
| I think I will be able to get my head around the Javascript but Im not
sure
| where to start in tying it all together. How would I link my custom
column
| to the Javascript? Where would I write the Javascript?
|

| | > Hi Terry,
| >
| > AS for numberic formatting script, I'm also not very experienced on
this.
| > However, I've used to get some similiar resources on the web, here are
| some
| > good articles:
| >
| > http://www.mredkj.com/javascript/numberFormat.html
| >
| > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20031204.asp
| >
| > You can leverage your own one from those ones.
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Update Custom Collection that is bound to DataGrid made
up
| > of Custom COlumns
| > | Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:23:31 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > |
| > | I am totally unfamiliar with client-side coding. Could you give me an
| > | example of how to format one of my custom columns as 2 decimal places
| > |
| > | tia
| > |
| > | Terry Holland
| > |
| > |

| > code
| script
| complex

| > up
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | requirement
| > is
| > | currency.
| column
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
message

| .net
| > 's
| > | don't
| > | datagriditem

| > no

DataGrid
| > made
| > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > | > |
| in
| > my
| > | > | > |
| > message

| > columns
| > DataGridItems
| > column
Also,
| as
| > "TextBoxID"
| > | or
| > | method.
| in
| > | the

| > confers

DataGrid
| > made

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol:5824
| > earlier
| and
| > | am
| > | > | > | > |